Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 45 Cal Knight Disc Extreme >

45 Cal Knight Disc Extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

45 Cal Knight Disc Extreme

Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 AM

Default 45 Cal Knight Disc Extreme

Our local shop has a new 45 cal Disc Extreme w/ Stainless fluted barrel and camo syn stock on sale for $299.00. Originally they were $449.00. I have never had a Knight or a .45 cal. The price seems really great, but I hear guys complain about cleaning the Knights. Does anybody hunt deer w/ a .45 cal? They have some .45 bullets etc, but not like the 50 cal. I am just looking for some opinions. I thought for the price it might be worth a try, but I don't want a lemon either

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45 Cal Knight Disc Extreme

That rifle probably has the best trigger you can get on a ML.

Can you specifically point out who said a Knight was difficult to clean? Do you consider their opinions reputable? I have found the trigger mechanism on the Omega to be harder to clean-and not nearly the quality of the Knight trigger. It is easier to get at the Knight trigger than the Encore or Omega trigger. Howevere it is easier to clean the barrel on the Omega and Encore. It takes 10 seconds longer to get to the Knight barrel-Do you consider that harder to clean?

45 Caliber??? Isn't the 45-70 a 45 caliber??? I believe they are basically the same caliber. I can shoot a 400 grain bullet at 1500 fps+++. I believe that is more than enough energy to drop a deer stone cold dead!!! I have never heard anyone call the 45-70 Undergunned??? Tom.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: utah_1

Our local shop has a new 45 cal Disc Extreme w/ Stainless fluted barrel and camo syn stock on sale for $299.00. Originally they were $449.00. I have never had a Knight or a .45 cal. The price seems really great, but I hear guys complain about cleaning the Knights. Does anybody hunt deer w/ a .45 cal? They have some .45 bullets etc, but not like the 50 cal. I am just looking for some opinions. I thought for the price it might be worth a try, but I don't want a lemon either

Thanks in advance

Jeff
The Extreme is a great rifle, and great trigger. As for hard to clean, that's not true. They are easy to clean. You pull the bolt, clean that and then the barrel. I own a Disc rifle and have no complaints about cleaning it. Now this will require the red primer carriers to hold the 209 primers. I have no experience with the .45 caliber, but they have more then enough power for deer, elk, moose, or anything else. Its just some states do not allow them. There used to be comments that a .45 was hard to tune in. Whether the Knight Disc is like this I could not say. Again, I have not shot a .45 caliber.

The Knight is usually a sabot shooter, so check your State regulations and make sure sabots are legal. They will shoot conicals, but are reallyknown as sabot shooters. Also the Extreme is a long range hitter. With a good scope I am sure this is a 200+ yard rifle once you find the right load.

I have a video that came with my Knight Disc, and in it they are shooting pronghorn out west with Knight Disc rifles as some hard to believe distances and knocking them flat.

As already said, the .45 caliber is a good caliber, but you will be shooting a .40, 10mm, or .357 bullet out of the sabots. While I have no doubt they are lethal, I just like a .50 caliber. But that is a really good price there on that rifle.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:03 AM

HEAD0001

What load do yo use in .45 muzzleloader? I figure I would probally have to buy plenty of ammo ahead of time, because you couldn't find .45 cal sabots and .40 cal bullets everywhere. I just looked at my Powerbelt info and see they have .45 cal available also. I have seen my friend clean his disc rifle and it cleans up great. I now clean a TC Thunderhawk and the Knight is much much easier than that. Most of the comments on cleaning have been on this site when the guys compare the Omega and the Knights.

Thanks for any help

Jeff
Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Try these links:

http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15656

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1422392

The 300grain 45cal Powerbelt Platinum works great with 70-80 grians of powder If you use T7 2Fg powder, then I'd say 70grains will be plenty. This load is goodfrom 50-125 yards
Old 02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: utah_1

Thanks in advance

Jeff
You will find fewer bullets and sabotfor the .45, .50 is legal for elk in most states out westbut the .45 isn't. That is about it. As far as cleaning, I havea Knight Disc, it cleans fine, is accurate andtaking apart the bolt at the end of the season to clean it is not a problem (I don't clean it after every outing). I have no issues with the Knight, it is a great gun. I have an Omega also and it is a great gun also, a >>bit<< easier to clean, not muchreally (taking the bolt out is the only extra step all the rest are the same). If your not into cleaning buy a Savage 10ML and shoot smokeless,if your state allows it. Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only area of the Knight I found to be a little tricky was the forward end of the bolt where the plastic disc is held. A Dremel with a buffing pad can make short work of that area though. Looks like someone (Knight) would have marketed a special tool for quick cleanup of that area.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It takes a bit of time to clean any muzzle loader if you really like them it does not bother you and knights are not hard to clean.
The real draw back on that gun is the caliber to many states require a 44 or 45 minimum for deer and most require a 50 or biger for the bigger game.
Also the options are limited you just dont have the choices that are available for a 50.
But that is not to say they won't shoot good,with a 45/40 sabot and a 200gr Shock Wave or XTP my friend is holding 1 inch at 100yds and the muzzle velicity is over 2200fps;its the laws that are the hang up. Lee
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 AM

Thanks Everyone

I'll have to check our regulations here in Ohio.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

The only area of the Knight I found to be a little tricky was the forward end of the bolt where the plastic disc is held. A Dremel with a buffing pad can make short work of that area though. Looks like someone (Knight) would have marketed a special tool for quick cleanup of that area.
Great Idea. I never heard of a buffing pad for a Dremel, but will give that a try. Thank You. Chap Gleason Va

Quick Reply: 45 Cal Knight Disc Extreme

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.