Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wind........

Old 02-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default wind........

I'm expecting a call any day now from the national sailing association. Seems they want me to travel their circuit mith my ML since every time I reach for it the wind starts to blow. Thought I'd try my 6/6 on 6"@100 yesterday. When the wind wasn't blowing the powder out of my measure or the swabbing patches off the table if was really quite pleasant. The results however were disappointing. Not discouraging, just disappointing. Question: how strong does the wind have to be blowing for you to limit your practice to 50 yds? How much impact does the wind seem to have on your 100 yd groups and how much variation by bullet selection etc..?

" />
Old 02-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: wind........

Wind is a factor but I don't take it into as much consideration as I sometimes should. You were shooting Saber Tooth 270 grain I think it says. What kind of twist in your rifle? Also what kind of rest were you shooting from?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Windy???? That sounds like hunting conditions to me. Sometimes we go to the range on purpose when the wind is blowing. What better way to know your firearm???? Tom.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: yeoman

. . . The results however were disappointing. Not discouraging, just disappointing. Question: how strong does the wind have to be blowing for you to limit your practice to 50 yds?
Maybe around10 mph or greater, cross wind. One day, shooting 385 GPs, in a steady heavy cross wind, I was getting group centers shifted by 4.5" at 50 yards. The groups were good, about 1.5", with open sights, owing to steadiness of wind. At one hundred yards, the POIs would have been totally off target holder. After returning from the range, i calculated a cross wind of 29 mph.
How much impact does the wind seem to have on your 100 yd groups and how much variation by bullet selection etc..?
Windage effects on grouping is a function of wind speed fluctuation. Let's say you point at .5 MOA, thats very good pointing in my book, and lets also say the wind fluctuates by more than 1 mph at the times the shots were taken. Well in these kinds of conditions, with this kind of pointing, assuming perfect bullet stability,it is impossible to get a 1" grouping except by pointing worse than .5 MOA and accidentally getting the group.

Sounds kind of harsh but it is true. One can improve grouping in fluctating wind conditions by choosing heavier, ballistically superior bullets. These kinds of bullets simply are more resistant to wind deflection. Basically if one calculates a ratio of weight per bullet (total) surface area, he will have a number which relates the bullets resistance to wind deflection. I would consider the most wind resistant bullet available to be a 620 Bullshop. The 270 sabertooth, like the 270 BB ballet are on the lower end of the scale having little resistance to wind deflection. PRB is even worse. It is good to know how your rifle shoots in wind so that it can be strategized into your hunting.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad - I'm pretty sure it's a 1:66, shooting barrel on sand bags, butt on elbow crease, both on concrete table, 4x scope, set trigger. Pretty solid. I'm going to try PRB at 100 next weekend...if the wind stops blowing. Howling out here on the river now and spitting snow.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

One of the biggest and most un-accounted for outside force on ML projectiles is wind especially X-winds and/or up and down drafts... It really doesn't take much to move the projectile...

A 15 MPH X-wind can move a 460 grain bullet with a MV of 1500 fps 5" off target @ 100 yards.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad and Sabotloader - you both have extensive archives of target results using various bullets and powder. Do either of you have examples of 100 yard results where you fired the same bullet/powder combo but one in windy conditions and one in calm that illustrate the effect?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

This just an example... the U-Mag was sighted in the previous week in the same rock pit.. but this particular day there was a little bit of a crossing wind - I did not record it just called it light so i would say3 to5 mph right to left. I shot this group and never adjusted the scope because on the previous trip I was right on...

On a lot of my shooting trips - I'll never adjust the scope I am just interesed in the group with that particular bullet and powder combination. I know I felt with this particular target I was not to any thing because of the wind but i would check it again later, because it was going to be my deer load for that year....

Old 02-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Sabotloader. I'm getting the feeling no one keeps the results when the wind's blowing 10-15 or at least isn't as foolish as I was to post them.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader, That is some fine shooting....
SHills

Quick Reply: wind........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.