Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Expert adviceneeded >

Expert adviceneeded

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Expert adviceneeded

Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Expert adviceneeded

Hey guys, I recently bought a new CVA Optima (50 cal) and i'm getting ready to try a few different loads through it. I bought the triple 7 powder pellets and the Winchester triple 7 209 primers (are these any good?). My question to you guys is, what brand/load would you guys recommend I try out. I understand that every rifle is different like different loads andi'm planning on trying out a few, I just wanted to know what you guys think? My father-in-law has the same rifle and he seems to like the TC 200 gr spire rounds (seem samll to me). what do you guys think of that? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Expert adviceneeded

Congratulations on the new rifle. I am sure you're really going to like it. From reading a lot of posts and owning to many rifles myself.. when I take a new inline out on the range I normally see if they will shoot a 250 grain Shockwave, 240 grain Thompson Center Mag Express, Thompson Center Cheap Shots, and then some 245 grain Powerbelts (in that order). I have yet to see a rifle that did not take to one of them and shoot them excellent.

With 50 grain pellets, limit your powder charge to 100 grains. Maybe later down the road you can pick up some loose powder and a powder measure. Save some money with that combination.

My CVA inline likes 90 grains of loose Pyrodex RS for some reason. With that powder and charge it will shoot about anything I want to try. Good luck with the rifle and keep us posted.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 AM

seeing how you already bought pellets, you may as well just use them up and after that buy either pyrodex rs or triple 7 loose powder. Never tried the triple 7 primers but the cci 209's work great. I'd start off with 2 pellets and a 240-250 grain sabot if you can hunt with the sabots. 200 grains does seem small. Some 275,350 or 385 grain TC maxi hunters or Great plains bullets will also work good. i'd give the 350 grain maxi hunters a try, they are easy to load and do great in my rifle. Make sure you read your manual, with a sabot your max bullet weight for a sabot is 300 grains and 3 pellets. Your limit with conicals is 400 grains. You can also shoot a 348 grain conical with 3 pellets but i wouldnt do that, thats a real kick to the shoulder. Stick around 100-120 grains when you switch to loose powder and use a 340+ grain bullet.

ORIGINAL: Garminator

Hey guys, I recently bought a new CVA Optima (50 cal) and i'm getting ready to try a few different loads through it. I bought the triple 7 powder pellets and the Winchester triple 7 209 primers (are these any good?). My question to you guys is, what brand/load would you guys recommend I try out. I understand that every rifle is different like different loads andi'm planning on trying out a few, I just wanted to know what you guys think? My father-in-law has the same rifle and he seems to like the TC 200 gr spire rounds (seem samll to me). what do you guys think of that? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess that depends on what 200gr, a 200 gr 45 shoots well for me but I have never used them on large game I would hesitate to do that, on the other hand I have used the 50/40 sabot and 200gr Shock Wave and it shoots very flat even with 100gr loads and both the boar and the deer droped quick and the bullets were both pass through with good exit holes since they both dropped with in a step or so I can not say much about blood trails.
I have used the 200gr XTP 40 cal also and it did well too; I intend to use the Rainier copper plated lead bullet this coming season as they shoot quite well and I like the idea of having a low priced bullet thats not a hollow point and will shoot at 2150 with only 100 gr and a light recoil. Lee
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 PM

Have you gotten a chance to do any accuracy testing with the saboted Ranier .40 caliber bullets?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I guess that depends on what 200gr, a 200 gr 45 shoots well for me but I have never used them on large game I would hesitate to do that, on the other hand I have used the 50/40 sabot and 200gr Shock Wave and it shoots very flat even with 100gr loads and both the boar and the deer droped quick and the bullets were both pass through with good exit holes since they both dropped with in a step or so I can not say much about blood trails.
I have used the 200gr XTP 40 cal also and it did well too; I intend to use the Rainier copper plated lead bullet this coming season as they shoot quite well and I like the idea of having a low priced bullet thats not a hollow point and will shoot at 2150 with only 100 gr and a light recoil. Lee
Lee, Can you provide a link to the Rainier Copper plated lead bullets? Also does anyone know the BC of this bullet in 200g? Chap Gleason vA
Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Have you gotten a chance to do any accuracy testing with the saboted Ranier .40 caliber bullets?
I found some .45 cal Ranier copper plated 300gr. bullets and shot the best group I have ever shot with them out of my Omega. Unfortunately I can not find them available anymore. I suspect the .40 cal will shoot as well.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=581242
I have not done much with them yet. Started with 80 & 90 gr RS both showed groups under two inches but its been cold and wind and I have not gotten back out. I am adding on to the house and doing a bit of remodleing so it will be a round April before I get out to really work on them .I have a new Exocet Xbow and one tag left so I will spend the next 2 weeks looking for the 12 point I been seeing off and on. Lee
Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Lemoyne,

Unless that 12 point is now a 0 point! Our older bucks drop in January here in MD. Careful when you drag him out.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=581242
I have not done much with them yet. Started with 80 & 90 gr RS both showed groups under two inches but its been cold and wind and I have not gotten back out. I am adding on to the house and doing a bit of remodleing so it will be a round April before I get out to really work on them .I have a new Exocet Xbow and one tag left so I will spend the next 2 weeks looking for the 12 point I been seeing off and on. Lee
Wow. $10.49 for 100, you can't beat that. Thanks for the Link when I order from them again I wll get some to try out. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Expert adviceneeded

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.