Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new or old?

Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Default new or old?

Well. . .not that you all haven't been asked this one 1000 times before.

Gettin ready to dive into ML. I am really torn. . . .

We are down to two. No scopes or Sabot in CO. for hunting.

1. Lyman GPH with 57GPR & 17AEU sights. Not sure yet .50 or .54 though
2. TC encore pro w/Thumbhole stock.

With ole number 2 I can go get that 22-259 Barrel a little later on but I miss out on that fun of playing with a near replica style shooter.

Cost will be close on both when the smoke clears.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new or old?

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

Well. . .not that you all haven't been asked this one 1000 times before.

Gettin ready to dive into ML. I am really torn. . . .

We are down to two. No scopes or Sabot in CO. for hunting.

1. Lyman GPH with 57GPR & 17AEU sights. Not sure yet .50 or .54 though
2. TC encore pro w/Thumbhole stock.

With ole number 2 I can go get that 22-259 Barrel a little later on but I miss out on that fun of playing with a near replica style shooter.

Cost will be close on both when the smoke clears.
Well, Tejano, persoanally I'd get the GPH with the sight setup you listed! And in .54 cal. if you plan to take on elk with it!

Or a nice flintlock......

Old 02-07-2007, 02:28 PM

Cost the same? Thought the t/c almost double the price of a GP, sights aren't that much are they??
Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM

Alright we all know the GPH can shoot roundball and conicals greatly so that'd easily be my choice. But seeing how you mentioned the pro hunter, I think it would be best to call TC and ask them whatconical they recommend that will shoot out of it.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks. . .I thought I saw that the TC was 1/28" twist so with that in mind it would be a fast enough twist to allow for stable conacle flight. . .right? But I bet your right. .I need to ask or hear some thoughts from the forum. . .

Geoffh. . .I have seen the GPH at about $400 plus another $100 for ths sights. The TC about $600 I think . . . .so that was what I cnsidered close.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 PM

The Encore is not much of a conical shooter. It's a sabot gun, for sure. My Encore won't shoot conicals for squat. I think the Lyman will serve your purposes better.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Some of the T/C barrels with QLA seem to not like shooting conicals. They will shoot sabot loads like gangbusters but when it comes to conicals it is sort of hit and miss. Many have had to cut the QLA off to get good accuracy with conicals. I personally think it has something to do with the gas excaping around the conical at the point where the bullet hits the QLA and this makes the bullet unstable. Some have claimed that the QLA is machined off center with the bore (I have a harder time believing that but I have not measured mine on the Omega and have not shot any conicals out of it yet). Something to consider.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM

What is QLA?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: trharder

What is QLA?
It's a counterbored muzzle that allows bullets to be started more easily, and straight into the bore, rather than canted......
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

It has been my experience with TC's is that they will shoot heavy powerbelts Ok, Conicals not very well.
There are great conical shooters out there, don't know about the GPR
Redclubrifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.