Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
WHAT GUN TO BUY??? HELP >

WHAT GUN TO BUY??? HELP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

WHAT GUN TO BUY??? HELP

Old 12-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Spike

Default WHAT GUN TO BUY??? HELP

<font face='Arial'></font id='Arial'>I have had a CVA and so has my dad and they have done nothing but miss fire etc everyone tell me because th drum hole is to small but i want a good rifle tha ti do not have to screw aroudn with for it to work consistantly
i was looking at a Hawken style or even something kind of custom
lymans are nice
what shoudl i go with ?

12 deer shot and 12 recovered
all credit to pse and nap for spitfire broadheads
Old 12-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: WHAT GUN TO BUY??? HELP

The Lyman Great Plains rifle is a 1-60 twist and is a great rifle for round ball. Round ball is all I really ever needed for whitetail deer. The Hawkins style (which is a true plains rifle) is a good style. Thompson Center makes a great Hawkins. I shoot a Renegade made by Thompson Center which is a Hawkins without the fancy hardware. It is a very dependable rifle. I also have a Traditions Hawkins Woodsman with a 1-66 twist, and it is a good dependable rifle. Actually before you sell the CVA short, you might want to consider getting a Uncle Mike's hot shot nipple or something like that, and try that. Also I always bust two or three caps through the nipple before I load it for the first time. It seems to clear the way. Be sure to pick the nipple clear before you load it. My friends shoot CVA and there is really nothing wrong with them, but if you do not trust the rifle to be dependable, then there is a problem. You might want to take the rifle to a gun smith and have him check it out. Also you might want to email CVA about the problem and see what they suggest. There are so many things that can cause a misfire, and you should be sure you are not doing them before you sell the rifle short. Good luck in what you choose.... Be safe
Old 12-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lyman Great Plains rifle in 50 is a nice shooter.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what kind of CVA you are shooting,mine shoots great.Might want to try changing the type of caps you are shooting or the way you are cleaning it.I have the cheapest one they make.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.