Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lets go hunting

Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Lets go hunting

Here is a curious question. And I understand that according to where you live, it could make a big influence on your choice simply because you already hunt some of the animals which would be considerd. I am refering to such critters as;all the bear family, cat family, deer family, elk, moose, antelope, hog, turkey, etc....

If you were given a dream hunt of a life time. What animal would you want to hunt?Why do youchoose this animal? Whatmuzzleloader load and projectile would you like to use?

Any game animal found in North America is fair game, so put your hunting hats on and give this some thought.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Lets go hunting

I'd love to go Elk hunting and call in a huge 6x6 and hear/see him bugle one last time before pulling the trigger. I always pictured the area, High up in the timber in a small field with gold aspens and the cool air. Why this animal? Ive never taken a bull before and very rarely see bulls. But i just want the experience of calling in a big bull and watching/hearing him come into range. I'd Use my win. x-150 with 385 grain great plains bullet.

Another would be a nice sized mule deer in the same country But taken with my .50 flintlock and me decked out in my old timey gear.

I came up 100 yards to far from making my first story come true a few years back.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Frontier Gander - I have to admit your choices sound exciting. I am still thinking on this myself. As for your almost score, that must have been still a most exciting day of hunting....
Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

At this time I would have to vote Turkey. This will be my first season pursuing them and I like the aspect of getting up close and personal in their territory, speaking their language, and actually making mother nature work in reverse in having the Gobbler coming to the hen (me calling). My new turkey gun isn't here yet- Knight TK 2000.I have no idea on the powder or shot loadbecause I have never fired a BP shotgun. I hope it comes with a DVD or you guys are willing to help me out.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MO Archer

At this time I would have to vote Turkey. This will be my first season pursuing them and I like the aspect of getting up close and personal in their territory, speaking their language, and actually making mother nature work in reverse in having the Gobbler coming to the hen (me calling). My new turkey gun isn't here yet- Knight TK 2000.I have no idea on the powder or shot loadbecause I have never fired a BP shotgun. I hope it comes with a DVD or you guys are willing to help me out.
I've shot a lot of turkey and without doubt it is a great thrill to hunt them. I use a Lynch box call most of the time and a mouth caller when they get real close. I hunt them with a .62 caliber smoothbore. As of yet,I have not scored with the smoothbore. With my old double barrel 12 I sure took a number of them out of the woods... good luck with your hunt. I am sure you will enjoy it. Since I have hunted them I took them off my possible selection....
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 PM

It was a great experience. I was calling cow elk earlier that morning and nothing would come in and then no calling back at all. We had been hearing squirrels dropping pinecones all that day and a couple hours later getting close to 1pm i heard a solid thud, i sit up and look to where i hear it and nothing. Lay back down and 10 minutes later CRAAACK! Get up this time and im really lookin! Zero, not a sound or anything. I find a more comfortable spot and am sitting and just watching and im looking across the valley and see a cow run through a gap in the trees about 200 yards out, i whistle and she stops, 3 other cows and a big 5x5 come out and im doing a little calling to get them to come to me, which they never did, and then to really test me nerves, a cow lays down while the others work deeper into timber and out of sight. I had a bull and cow tag but that cow was just 100 yards futher than i was able to shoot [&:].. 2 days later my dadgoes to an area and is walking slow and not paying attention when he hears a noise and looks up to see a 6x5 and a 7x7 bull elk 50 yards away.. As normal, he didnt have an elk tag. Some really heart breaking memories up in that area.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

It was a great experience. I was calling cow elk earlier that morning and nothing would come in and then no calling back at all. We had been hearing squirrels dropping pinecones all that day and a couple hours later getting close to 1pm i heard a solid thud, i sit up and look to where i hear it and nothing. Lay back down and 10 minutes later CRAAACK! Get up this time and im really lookin! Zero, not a sound or anything. I find a more comfortable spot and am sitting and just watching and im looking across the valley and see a cow run through a gap in the trees about 200 yards out, i whistle and she stops, 3 other cows and a big 5x5 come out and im doing a little calling to get them to come to me, which they never did, and then to really test me nerves, a cow lays down while the others work deeper into timber and out of sight. I had a bull and cow tag but that cow was just 100 yards futher than i was able to shoot [&:].. 2 days later my dadgoes to an area and is walking slow and not paying attention when he hears a noise and looks up to see a 6x5 and a 7x7 bull elk 50 yards away.. As normal, he didnt have an elk tag. Some really heart breaking memories up in that area.
WOW!! I can see now why you were excited and thrilled with that hunt.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm. This is a very good question. Dream hunt. . . This of course a hunt I won't ever get to do. I'd like to go to Alaska, perhaps Wrangle, and hunt Dall sheep. This being a dream, I don't know what the load would be for sure but itmay involve either my Apex or Kodiak Pro (at the moment), 375 or 435SSB, 90 grains 777 2f, and Bushnell Banner BDC scope.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Difficult question Dave. If I can create the hunt from scratch, it's easier. Whitetails during the rut on 1000 acres in Iowa with two good friends. No one else on the property. No guides. I'll use the same old 50 cal CVA mountain rifle I've always used. As of now, I'll be shooting the 270 Sabertooth with 80 RS. I'd like to have a week or ten days. I choose the Whitetail because I believe, of North American game animals realistically hunted without dogs, a 5 year old Whitetail buck is the most capable of avoiding human contact. I'd like to know the Iowa property holds or is likely to hold at least one buck of that age class. Problem is there is no MZ season during the rut in Iowa so this truly is a "dream" hunt !
Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

Hmmmm. This is a very good question. Dream hunt. . . This of course a hunt I won't ever get to do. I'd like to go to Alaska, perhaps Wrangle, and hunt Dall sheep. This being a dream, I don't know what the load would be for sure but itmay involve either my Apex or Kodiak Pro (at the moment), 375 or 435SSB, 90 grains 777 2f, and Bushnell Banner BDC scope.
I forgot all about them.. yes, that would be a lot of fun. Although I am not sure my legs could handle the climbing and walking...

Quick Reply: Lets go hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.