Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flasks???

Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Flasks???

I have a suggestion for you, as a lot depends on how you use them.
Take a flask and measure out 10 loads then weigh them on a powder scale- then get a good top leveling powder measure and weigh those to. The one that is the most consistant is the one you want; I quit using a flask about 10 years age after I did this my flask numbers were not so good and just pouring loose into a good clip the top measure was a lot more consistant for me and since you should not pour from a flask directly in to the barrel any way . Lee
Old 01-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I have a suggestion for you, as a lot depends on how you use them.
Take a flask and measure out 10 loads then weigh them on a powder scale- then get a good top leveling powder measure and weigh those to. The one that is the most consistant is the one you want; I quit using a flask about 10 years age after I did this my flask numbers were not so good and just pouring loose into a good clip the top measure was a lot more consistant for me and since you should not pour from a flask directly in to the barrel any way . Lee
Lee, I am not the origonal poster concerning flask, but your idea is good. I am buying a 10ML Savage, so I need to start weighing my charges, so I just boughta powder scale. I am not sure what a "top leveling powder measure" is, can you please explain with a link or an imbedded picture? Thanks Chap Gleason
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

The top leveling powder measures usually have a funnel on top to get the best volume measure I fill it a bit past full and slide top over the measure. I have a empty powder can which the excess goes into when at the range so as not to waste any. There are several brands some hinge some slide.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307222
You should find a sample of the type here. Lee
Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

The top leveling powder measures usually have a funnel on top to get the best volume measure I fill it a bit past full and slide top over the measure. I have a empty powder can which the excess goes into when at the range so as not to waste any. There are several brands some hinge some slide.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307222
You should find a sample of the type here. Lee
perfect, thanks. Chap Gleason Va