Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which powder do you prefer? >

Which powder do you prefer?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Which powder do you prefer?

At times I wonder what affect the cold has on the type of powder you use. I have tried Pyrodex, 777 and, most recently, Jim Shockeys gold --- but I have never really tried to determine if there are repeatability issues when the powders are exposed to temperatures around 15 degrees or so.

I have come across at least one person that swears the newer, cleaner burning powders lose their consistency when the temperatures drop. The only thing he will use is "real" black powder because of this.

Are there any opinions out there on this?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Which powder do you prefer?

i only use pyrodex RS for my inline and all the sidelocks. We've been through rain storms/ snow storms and the loads went off a couple days laterwith no problems. Plus every rifle i own ive sighted in various bullets with each rifle and the powder never got picky with bullets. Standard load with all our sidelocks is 90 grains and either a PRB or 295 grain powerbelt. Im using a 385 grain great plains bullet in my inline with 90 grains pyro rs. Good stuff i think.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Goex 2f
Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess the bigest problem with what I prefer is that I can not get easily but pyordex will do at least it is reliable.
Black Goex or Black Mag is prefered but not available here.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Have you ever sighted in at a warmer temperature and then tested the results when it was cold...or after you have left it in the gun for a few days? This past season in MN, I left mine in the gun for about 3-4 days after the season until I had a chance to shoot it at a target....ended up about 7-8 inches below what I was expecting! I was using Shockeys with 120 grain charge and 265 grain Winchester sabot. Certainly could have been shotters error, but the 7-8 inches was rather startling!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I go with black mag 3. In fact this past 2nd season in Illinois found us in a ice storm. Went out on the 3rd day of a four day season...didn't see anything. kept the gun loaded for 2 weeks and went out the next mzl'ing season. Shot a buck at 75 yards and hit where I aimed. Love that black mag 3.

Paul
Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

The powder I like is determined by the rifleI shoot. I have found through a lot of shooting that while Rifle #1 might like pyrodex for best accuracy, Rifle #1 might be a Goex or Triple Se7en powder lover.. so I have to say according to the rifle I shoot.

As for consistancy of powder shot to shot, I found (in this order) Goex 2f, Pyrodex RS and Triple Se7en are the three best powders for general overall accuracy. While they might not be the most clean powder or free of crud rings, they generally will get your projectile on target and with plenty of power..
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Pyrodex is my favorite. I've tried APP and was satisfied but not as much.

I've never tried Triple Seven but plan on experimenting eventually.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

My .50 sidelock likes Triple se7en 3f
My 12 ga double sidelock likes APP 2f

Its a pain to have to keep more than one jug around but not that big a pain if I want good results.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Typical Buck

I am another Black Mag'3 convert. I tried all the others and BM3 is the cleanest and shoots the best in my stainless Omega. I have some that is about three years old and it is OK but the latest version has been improved for even more consistent performance. I just wish Magkor would get someone in my area that would carry it. If I order it and pay the Hazmat four pounds come out to about $25 a pound.

Quick Reply: Which powder do you prefer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.