Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bad day

Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Spike

Default Bad day

Went out today at range shootin today with my Omega . I usually got 1.5 inches group but today 10 shots went average up to group 3 inches. Todayhumity is 76 percent ,23 f degree and 2 inches snow on ground and snowing . I believe it affect my accuracy . Dont u think ?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bad day

Wisewood there are lots of things that can effect the accuracy of the rifle. You may very well just had a bad day. I sure had my share of them in my life. Also depending on when you sighted the rifle in, and the temperatures and humidity at that time, all of that could make a difference. Then we get into powder age, just that you're perhaps not as comfortable today because of the cold. I would not get too concerned at this point. Besides, it only takes one flier to open a 1.5 to a 3.

Just continue the way you have been, swab between shots, and may be the next trip out will be better then all the others so far.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with Cayugad. Before I would go about changing a bunch of things I may chaulk it up as just a bad day on the range.

Now if you never shoot in the cold and snow it may be a good idea to get out there a few more times and see if you have the same results. Also keep track of just your first shot as well to see how the cold is going to affect your most important shot a cold day with that nice buck in your sights. You know what I mean? A clean gun, cold powder and bullet cold. I know I need to do this more.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cold often afects things other than the shooter but I would check for consistance before I even thought about changing any thing. Lee
Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Just accept it as a bad day on the range. I for one have many of them.

By the way, a 3 inch group is not bad no matter how you look at it. You're too hard on yourself. Be happy with those groups. I would be.

I have the Omega and am happy with my 3 inch groups.