Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

targets

Old 01-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default targets

One of the problems faced in shooting at distances, is the tendancy of the crosshairs of a scope to block out the dark center target ring. Why are most targets not white in the center ring surrounded by the dark color?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Default RE: targets

I have the same problem and have started customizing my own targets. I use markers, whatever and get them they way I want them to be. That works good!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

I'm doing that also. Just wonder where the dark center concept originated and if anyone knows a good souce for white center targets.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Since I shoot white center on dark green targets I guess I do not have to worry. Although with open sights at a longdistance, even that combination can also be a problem. My favorite is a black bull with a bright red or green center circle. It really sticks out well.

Something you can do for cheap targets.. go to Wal Mart and get some 3X5 florscent colored index cards. You tape them to a cardboard box and they stick out like a sore thumb. If you're shooting open sights the card makes a good aiming point. If your shooting a scope just take a black magic marker and make an X corner to corner on the card and you then have something for your scope to focus on.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:43 AM

after election time get your hands on some corrugated plastic signs, get yourself a marker a marker done deal draw whatever bull you want leaving the center white we do this and it works great then we just staple blank paper over and good to go until its like swiss cheese..we are lucky my buddy is in real estate lol
Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

try www.targetz.com they have a wide variety of targets that you can print. Many with white bullseye.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:09 AM

http://www.protargets.com/targets/index2.htm
try these and see if they help
Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 PM

MLkeith & Hunter.50,

Thanks for those sites, I was going to purchase a target generator for the computer. This is way better, gives me more money for ammo

Mike
Old 01-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the cross targets at Targetz.com. On one target, I cut out the four blocks in each corner of the cross. This is a template. Then I take and lay the template over the another target and lightly spray some paint over the blocks. Just enough color for them to show well. Then there is a white cross inside the 4 colored blocks. Cross hairs center easily in the cross and the pattern and its center is very recognizable when shooting open sights.

I've got to be honest. I can not stand pointing at a dot. I like a larger reference to point into. I can see target choicebeing a matter of personal preference, but thiskind of arrangement has helped meconsiderably, especially with open sight shooting.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Not 100% sure, but if your using fiber optic sights the black centeris much better to see. I agree, the white or yellow is best with scope. I print my own from targetz as well.

Quick Reply: targets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.