HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   tc (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/175737-tc.html)

spiddle 01-18-2007 10:43 AM

RE: tc

I called TC they said in so many words tough s#$t.
I hopeThompsom Centerlikes this publicity, as far as I'm concerned they are not worth doing business with.

Pglasgow 01-18-2007 10:47 AM

IMHO, warranty service is always a precarious thing no matter what the product, or who the manufacturer. I never purchase extended warranty and the like simply because I just figure by the time I've shipped it and paid extra, I have half paid for a new one (of whatever product). And this neglects the time value of the extra paid for warranty. I do this twice, and the next one is free.

I would beinterested in knowing what options were presented to spiddle by T/C. For example, whether a replacement rifle was offered, or the willingness of T/C to pay for an independent gunsmith to do the service. In any event, the point I was making, is that this particular experience should be considered when paying extra for warranty as warranty service during production of a product is often very different after the product is discontinued.

Can you imagine in25 years, T/C replacing every encore, omega, and triumph they have sold recentlywith a new model of whatever rifle is in production?Just like an insurance company, no one "likes to payout". It digs into profit and it isn't something they like doing, especially 18 years after the product was discontinued.

cayugad 01-18-2007 12:14 PM

Spiddle.. sorry to hear of your bad experience. My experiences on the other hand with Thompson Center have been so exceptional to my favor that I will continue to purchase the Thompson Center rifles over and over in the future, should I need or desire one.

While I have no desire in their new models like the Omega, Encore, Pro Hunter or any of the others, their older models are still a favorite of mine and on my gun racks. I would not blame you at all for refusing to promote or purchase an additional Thompson Center product.

Pglasgow - for years I have often wondered how Thompson Center, Knight, CVA, and some of the other companies were able to offer such excellent customer service. Like you, I never purchase an extended warranty on anything. It just baffled my mind when I would ask for a part of some kind of service and their reply was, "mail it to us." When you begin to estimate the number of rifles in the hands of shooters that some of these companies have out there, just their willingness to help solve a problem is something to be commended.

In Spiddle's case I too, would wonder why he was treated in such a manner. It just seems so out of character for the company, based on all my past experiences with them. I personally would like to know how, or what caused the hammer to crack.

tcuser 01-18-2007 12:21 PM

hey spiddle more info would nice as to the exact reason they gave you I could see them saying send to us and we will fix it??sometimes its very hard getting warranty work done living in canada as I do as well..

lonewolf5348 01-18-2007 12:34 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thompson-Center-Seneca-R-H-Hammer-Hawken-or-Renegade_W0QQitemZ110079227135QQihZ001QQcategoryZ7 3952QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pglasgow 01-18-2007 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

While I have no desire in their new models like the Omega, Encore, Pro Hunter or any of the others, their older models are still a favorite of mine and on my gun racks. I would not blame you at all for refusing to promote or purchase an additional Thompson Center product.
I never mentioned the Hawken and the Renegade because they, IMO, will always be popular, always be offered, and always serviced. It seems to me that all of the manufacturers are hoping to shift older inlines into obsolescence by offering new products which rejuvenate demand. The same principle applies to TV's, Computers, etc. This will obviously lead totermination of production of the older inlines.

In Spiddle's case I too, would wonder why he was treated in such a manner. It just seems so out of character for the company, based on all my past experiences with them. I personally would like to know how, or what caused the hammer to crack.
A customer service rep isn't instructed to meet every demand or to offer every solution. He earns his pay by striking that optimum balance that satisfies the customer while keeping costs to his company at a minimum. If the cost to the company becomes unacceptable, no effort will be made to reach customer satisfaction and the customer is "written off" as a loss. These are the economics.

As far as what caused the hammer to crack. Maybe it was already fractured when the rifle was built. I think it would be a mistake to try to judge whether spiddle is deserving of warranty service or if he is responsible as the cause of his hammer failing.

To me, the lock assembly are the parts one expects to fail. If they can't fail, it would be reasonable to ask, "why have a warranty at all", or especially, "whypay extra for the reputation of warranty service?" Most any part of any rifle, I suspect, could faileither through customary use or through abuse by the owner. I'm giving spiddle the benefit of the doubt on thisbecause I have a sense of just how expensive therifles at thecustom shopcan be. Were it free to him, might be a different story, but he paid a pretty penny for it and I just suspect that he has given the rifle its due respect.

Hey, I agree about the general great level of service by the different manufactures. Everytime a problem comes up, I watch the resolution process tounge in cheek, and it usually works out well for the owner. Right now there is Encore on its way to TC which has, according to itsowner,never done better than 6" at 100 yards with any projectile. We will see how that goes and whether his barrel is replaced as he is requesting. This particular outcome I will watch with interest as there are a couple of other forum members with similar, though not so profound, problems.

cayugad 01-18-2007 01:09 PM

I am not trying to suggest that Spiddle is in any manner responsible for the damage to the hammer. Nor am I trying to judge whether Spiddle is entitled to warranty on the rifle part. I have no personal interest in Thompson Center as a business, other then as a consumer. I am only interested in knowing what made it crack. This information is purely selfish reasoning on my part simply because I look at my gun wall and can see several Thompson Center traditional rifles with hammers. I even inspected them after reading Spiddle's thread. Just for my peace of mind. My bigger concern centers on the timing of the denial. Since Thompson Center was taken over by Smith & Wesson, perhaps this is an indication of "things to come."

I've only known of two other people to "crack" a hammer. I personally have a good idea why their hammers became damaged I believe. The make of the rifle or model is not important. Only why this occurred.

Pglasgow 01-18-2007 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I am not trying to suggest that Spiddle is in any manner responsible for the damage to the hammer. Nor am I trying to judge whether Spiddle is entitled to warranty on the rifle part.
Nor am I trying to suggest that your are judging. I am suggesting that no one should judge his fault in the hammer failure or question his entitlement to warranty service. (T/C and Spiddle are the parties which should do the judging there). So if someone reads your puzzlement or curiosityas to its cause, they should notconsequently make judgements about it justifying T/C's initial refusal (though hopefully not final refusal)to service spiddle.

Added:

My bigger concern centers on the timing of the denial. Since Thompson Center was taken over by Smith & Wesson, perhaps this is an indication of "things to come."

It's too early to know, and for now I think we should give T/C the benefit of the doubt. Its one thing to send in a part and get a new one back. Its quite another to get a new barrel or parts for a rifle no longer in production for which there is no inventory of parts. The solutions to these kinds of problems I think require managerial approval in customer service. If T/C had the Seneca hammer, I firmly believe that Spiddle would be getting one.

To some extent, some folks are disillusioned into thinking that the customer service repsare going to offer or suggest a solution tothe more difficult cases, like a barrel problem.They expect this because of T/C's reputation. But I would guess no first level customer service rep has the authority to do this. Sometimes, one must go to the next level to get acceptable solutions. The consumer's thoughts on an acceptable solution need to be communicated unambiguously for customer service to have a complete understanding of what it will take to satisfy the warranty need. So I certainly would say, lets give T/C a chance to service Spiddle's Seneca, if Spiddle will try one more time.

SHills 01-18-2007 07:17 PM

Spiddle,
Lonewolf found you one!
If that does not work out call Gunparts.com, Numrich gun parts and I have one last one @ wk if you can't find anything.
LOL, SHills

Water Swatter 01-20-2007 12:26 AM

I called customer Service regarding my encore barrel at TC and was told just to send it in. Why couldn't the custom shop at TC make a new hammer for your Seneca or retrofit another hammer from a different model? I would write a letter and sendthe riflein and demand that they fix it. It would not take much for them to make it happen they just need to be motivated a little.

Sometimes with customer service departments they need to be reminded of their reason for being there. Explain to them that you are very dissatisfied and you need them to make this right. A lifetime warranty on a firearm needs to be fullfilled.