Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I gotta vent. bullet prices >

I gotta vent. bullet prices

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I gotta vent. bullet prices

Old 01-10-2007, 07:48 PM

Default RE: I gotta vent. bullet prices

They real problem I have with the High End Bullest,is I use them for hunting. Now $1.00 a pop isn't bad for a hunting bullet,but the rub comes in when you go through about 30-40 of these setting your zero![:@]I am finding out(thanks to Cayuga) that thre Lee real bullets are a great alternative for casual shooting,small game,ect. InfACT THE 250GR. REAL bullet shoot so well in the prohunters,with 70grs.T7 that they could be used for short range deer hunting. The 300gr REAL's shoot well in my White .504 too! You can cast your own bullets,and save big bucks,but when hunting Big game the high dollar bullets get the nod! Ron
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well if any of you really want to shoot cheap get a 45 cal keithnose hollow point mold in the weight you like and a small hand sizing outfit and what ever type of lead pouring outfit [I use a furnace type with a built in pot] pour and size your own.
I **** a 25 percent wheel weight in 75 percent pure lead mix.
And if you are a long range shooter get a mold in 40 cal with out the hollow point [same bullet] and use a 50/50 mix with a mag load and 50/40 sabot. Lee
Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 PM

I found some good ones a few minutes ago. 20 great plains bullets in 240 grain. That would be perfect for my deer load and allow me to go back to shooting 150+yards with my standard 120grains pyro rs load. I'll be ordering a box sometime and give them a try.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Yep, bullet prices drive me crazy too. I can't afford to shoot half as much as I'd like on my income.

Good luck again, FG. Tell me if you get it. I'm guessing they sold that baby in a heartbeat though. You might get lucky. If you're interested in a cheap returned ML, they always have 'em in there soI would check all the bargain caves at all of the store loactions.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

Any high power rifle bullet costs around a dollar, the best ones are one to one and a half. I think muzzleloader bullets are much more enjoyable and fun to shoot than high power deer rifles any day.

A dollars still a lot per bullet though.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

man...i can shoot 100 rounds of my choice of bullets for about the same price! that include buying patches AND the balls! lol. that seems pretty steep for a lead conical. glad my gun hates to shoot anything other than patch and ball.

i think casting your own will definently save cash after a while if you shoot alot. i know once i get another BP rifle or 2 and start getting more time to shoot ill be casting my own balls and bullets..
Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

THAT'S why I cast my own!!!!! I'm not dissing T/C or any other manufacturer.... but when theH*LL does 20 plain lead cast bullets become worth $12??...I have molds for Maxi-ball and Maxi- hunter in both .45 and .50 plus a host of other style conicals and round balls. 99.999% of thetime I get my pure lead for nothing!!! There's always someone I know that will save raw lead for me...( plumbers lead, old lead flashing etc.,etc. ) I mostly hunt in the woods so I don't mess with sabots, powerbelts, or anything else that a lot of the in-line shooters use to obtain longer shots. The type of ML hunting I enjoy is up close and personal so taking a deer at 150-200 yds. with a scoped in-line is to akin to using a cartridge rifle as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I have a few in-lines and yes I have killed a few deer at greater distances with them but it just isn't the same for me as taking one at 40-50 yds with a Flintlock or sidelock Percussion rifle with either a cast conical or a patched round ball. And NO I don't have a problem with in-lineshooters/users it's just a personal preference. Kinda like why some folks like a recurve vs a compound bow. But back to the subject....if you shoot cast lead bullets or balls....invest a little money in a simple Hotpot of some sort ( there are many styles available ) and a set of mold blocks of your preference and cast your own and you will save money and enjoy doing it as well....BPS
Old 01-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Save some money and buy.44 or .45 caliber lead bullets in bulk. Then buy sabots in bulk. Mine came from Midway. Yes, they are lubed: No, it does not matter. irefuse to buy high priced bullets for my M/L or my rifle. i am shooting .50 M/L for about 18 cents per shot with these.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 AM

You guys got it CHEAP!

295 grain powerbelts $26.99
250 grain sst's $23.99
Pyrodex RS, $35.99 a box

all plus 14% tax!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought 180 buffalo bullets/sabot in 285 grains for 49.00. Thats just .27 each. I've only been shooting Mzl now for 2 years and I refuse to buy the expensive ones. Powerbelts I won't even look at now. Last year I bought over 400 bullets from ebay off a store that went out of business.

The ones I bought were:
330 grain Extreme Elite (150 rounds)
275 grain Extreme Elite (90 rounds)
300 grain Exteme Elite (90 rounds)
215 grain Spitzer (120 rounds)

All total I paid 80.00 for 450 rounds. Of those I've got 25 rounds left of the spitzers and 40 rounds left of the 330 grain Elites. I've still got the 275 and the 300 grain elites left. Plus I now only have 1 1/4 pounds of Black mag 3 and I'll be ordering 6 pounds of it. (three pounds for myself)

I just don't realize how much shooting I've done in the past until I post it on here

Quick Reply: I gotta vent. bullet prices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.