Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

3 N 1 Oil

Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 PM

Default 3 N 1 Oil

Is 3 N 1 oil OK for a light coat in the bore after cleaning?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Default RE: 3 N 1 Oil

its a good oil to use if u like having rusted bore. I use rem oil, spray my patch, run it down the bore 3 -4 passes and them use a dry patch to soak up any left overs.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I've used it, but don't like it. I think Brichwood Casey Sheath, Breakfree CLP or Rem Oil with Teflon are the better oils out there. Kroll is another good one for short term storage.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Rem oil and have some Birchwood Casey. I use em both. Never used household oil since my Grandpa in Idaho smacked the can out of my hand many years ago. Don't hae a muzzle loader yet, but the above mentioned oils work on everything else I shoot.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Having used3 in 1 oilfor 40 years to care for a Winchester model 12 with a father who's done the same for 50 years with a Browning A5, both of which have been hunted hard for ducks in rain, sleet and snow and both of which are in excellent condition, I'd say it'sgreat gun oil. Not that there aren't other oils out there which are just fine. I can't say any are better and won't have enough years to prove it.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

TXFRNTLDER

3-in-1 is a good oil if used for what it was intended for a short period of time. I would not use it for anything long term and I really do not think I would use it in a bore unless that was the only alternative. The biggest problem I have with it is it tends to draw, catch dust and lint...

You are really better off using a quality gun oil. There is a ton of them on the market... the military is pretty hung up on Break Free CLP. A lot of people here useBirch Wood Casey Sheath which now is called Barricade. And certainly other products designed for fireams will work... I am going to try another product here shortly, again a military product that is being used.

http://www.slip2000.com/

Have no idea of its abilities but want to give it a try - I like the thought of a natural product - I think....

Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Sabotloader, let us know how that stuff works. I'm always on the lookout for a better mousetrap. Are you thinking of trying the regular gun lube or the extreme stuff?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 AM

So I'm ok to use it till I get back to BassPro for my weekly wallet bleeding.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

TXFRNTLDER

Sure for short term use... put some in the bore - then use a couple of clean patches, run them through and take the exces back out...

mcawful

No, I got the regular stuff to start with, but I probably bought to much for a test. Just the regular Slip 2000
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 in 1 to me seems too thick of oil for bore protection. I'd use something "lighter" just in a pinch like you say until you get to Bass Pro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.