HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/174364-cracks-kodiak-synthetic-stock-resolved.html)

cayugad 01-19-2007 08:55 AM

RE: Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock

While I have had excellent customer service from BPI I too, had to wait to normally get my items returned. Other then that it was as promised. I am sure the stock will arrive and be just what you need.

frontier gander 01-19-2007 09:04 AM

probably due to the storms we've had the past month. Im still waiting for packages that were shipped out Dec 18th!

Pglasgow 01-19-2007 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: MO Archer

It has been 10 days since the stock wasgoingto ship out and I still have not received it. I called CVA Customer Service (770-449-4687) on 19 Jan 07at 9:15am. I spokewith Eric and asked him if he had any shipping information on the stock. He informed me that it is scheduled for delivery on Monday, January 22, 2007. I asked him why it was taking so long to arrive and he told me he wasn't sure. I left it at that and hopefully I get it on Monday. I will post an update when it arrives. Hopefully the extended delivery time is just because of the weather everyone has been having.
Well I was wondering how that was going. Waiting stinks[>:]. But at least you didn't have to ship your original back. Too bad you didn't request a tracking number so that you could track the shipment. Just one more weekend!? Good luck and keep us posted.

MO Archer 01-22-2007 04:19 PM

As promised by Eric at BPI I received my new stock today at 3:35pm. The stock came ina box inside a box both sealed with security tape. I also received aprepaid return shipping label so this transaction didn't cost me a thing. I have my Kodiak back together and can't wait to take it to the range, hopefully this weekend. I would have to give Customer Service at CVA/BPI an A+ for this situation. I have 100% confidence in the warranty behind my CVA Kodiak. If I ever have a problem with my T/C Omega I hope the service goes this smooth and good.

Pglasgow 01-22-2007 10:00 PM

As promised by Eric at BPI I received my new stock today at 3:35pm. The stock came ina box inside a box both sealed with security tape. I also received aprepaid return shipping label so this transaction didn't cost me a thing. I have my Kodiak back together and can't wait to take it to the range, hopefully this weekend. I would have to give Customer Service at CVA/BPI an A+ for this situation. I have 100% confidence in the warranty behind my CVA Kodiak. . .
I am glad to read that. Iam also new ownerCVA Kodiak (my first) and am happy to know that CVA serviced your warranty as they did. Thanks for posting your experience.

frontier gander 01-22-2007 10:14 PM

Now try not to crack this one! jeeez. :D

lol just kiddin

MO Archer 01-26-2007 11:13 PM

Well I guessthis will bethe true test of BPI/CVA Customer Service. I took the Kodiak along to the range today to shoot a few shots through it while I was working up a 100 yd load for my other gun. I shot only 3 rounds with the Kodiak- 250gr Shockwaves with 85gr of Pyrodex. Oh and by the way it was way off the markfrom where it was shooting before. I guess replacing the stock really affected its performance. Took it apart tonight for cleaning and inspection and to my surprise there are already 3 cracks developing in the bulkheads for the lugsin the stock. I guess my next step it to just send the whole gun back to them and let them figure it out. Iam thinkingabout another trip to the range with 5-7 more shots through itto see if the cracks open up like before. Here are the pics-

Front lug - Both

Front lug- Front

Front lug- Back

Back lug- Back

Pglasgow 01-27-2007 12:18 AM

MO Archer,

This is disheartening news. Particularly because I'd bet it was caused again by tightening the lug screws and I'm certain you were careful and did not over tighten. I removed my barrel again to inspect mine. Lo and behold, there is a fine crack bothin front of and behind the muzzle side lug. They don't go very deep, but I suspect that they may deepen with time.

I have yet to shoot my kodiak pro, (driving me crazy), but I will, just as soon as the range re-opens. We've got a spell of warm weather which is supposed to end tomorrow, but if tomorrow doesn't drop too much precip, it is possible that I may be out to the range by or on next weekend.

For others who own Kodiaks I would be very interested in your comments on your stocks because I have the sense this is something which is common. Like me, Zugunruhe, also bought a SS Kodiak Pro when the Apex run out. If you would, check your stock and comment.

As for me, I don't think I'm gonna go through thescenario of replacing my stock, simply because I figure that a new one will alsodevelop cracks.As I inspected the stock again, it just seems to me that there is just a whole lot ofstock structure behind the lugs and thatit will support the heavy conical recoil I'm going to putto her.I don't think the part that iscracking supports much recoil at all, the structure along the sides of the stock is supporting the lion's share. The cracks are developing, I think, from stress related to spreading the stock as the barrel is bedded with the lug screw.Personally, I think I will reinforce those pockets behind thelugs withJ-B Weld (like I did the Apex) and then just report how the cracks develop and worsen if they do.

MO Archer, if you can't livewith those cracks, I think I'd look into returning therifle. Cuz, even ifCVA is willing to trade you stocks every two weeks, I think they willeach and everyonedevelopcracks right there.

MO Archer 01-27-2007 12:34 AM

It is definately happening when it is fired. I put the stock on several timessince I received itbefore I fired it, each time I got them a little tighter and each time I took it back apart to inspect it and there were no cracks. Maybe the stress of firing it and the spread of the barrel is too much. I am not sure. I have pretty much made up my mind to take it to the range and shoot more rounds through it. I will take it apart every 5 rounds and inspect the cracks and take pictures until I feel that it is no longer safe to shoot. Not sure what CVA will be willing to do about it. I am sure I can make the stock work as you are, but I didn't buy a new gun to have to make it work. I too would like to hear from everyone that owns this gun and see just how many have the cracks and how bad they actually are. What kind of stock do you have Pglasgow?

Pglasgow 01-27-2007 12:56 AM

Not sure what CVA will be willing to do about it. I am sure I can make the stock work as you are, but I didn't buy a new gun to have to make it work.
One thing occurs to me, they may allow you to trade this stock up for the laminate stock with you paying the difference between their costs. You shouldn't have problems with the laminate stock.

I too would like to hear from everyone that owns this gun and see just how many have the cracks and how bad they actually are. What kind of stock do you have Pglasgow?
I have the black synthetic stock. Evaluating the design, here is my 2 cents. The design begs for the cracks right where they appear. Look at the pockets behind the lugs. That structure makes the stock ridgid and forces the strain of spreading the stock to be concetrated right smack dab in the center. Ironically, the feature I liked so much about the stock, the support on each side, funnels spreadingstresses to the center,I think. That makes sense to me anyway. If you look at your Omega stock, its design allows this kind of stress to be distributed throughout the whole of the bottom of the stock.

Without testing I couldn't know,but for receiving recoil, Ilike the design of theKodiak better than the Omega hands down because there is so much more there to receive it, (again, I think the design calls for receiving recoil primarily along the sides of the stock, where the Omega receives it primarily on the bottom of the stock). For preventing those cracks, Omega wins hands down. As I own the rifle,I'll continue reporting my impressionsand if that changes, I'll definitely let everyone know.

Added:

Maybe the stress of firing it and the spread of the barrel is too much.
It occurs to me that firing will cause additional spreading of the stock. Expanded by breech gas, the barrel itself would provide a short but sharp spreading moment to each side of the stockwhere load bearing of themomentisfocused right where the cracks develop. I would definitely agree that firing, though notrecoil,contributed to the cracks.