Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzeloader

Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Default muzzeloader

my mom and dad was wondering what i want for my birthday.
I am thinking a muzzeloader.
So waht kinds would be a go pick for me.
I was wonting something at a reasonable prize and GOOD quality!!

I am 16
Old 01-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: muzzeloader

southern hunter - first look at what laws are in your State. Are there any restrictions on actions, ignitions, projectiles, etc? Then start looking at some of the different sites, another good place to look are the auction sites since they often have pictures and descriptions of rifles. Next consider what kind of shooting situation you are going to encounter. Long distance, short distance, open fields, thickets, etc.

After you have done all that, try to get to a store and see what rifle fits you best. At your age, I am sure you will grow a lot more, but for now try and find a rifle that pulls well and is balanced and comfortable. Last try to get some estimate of how much you are willing to spend. Take into consideration it is not just the rifle in many cases. There are a number of accessories and projectiles, power, caps, primers, etc that all have to be purchased as well.

When you have all of that figured out, then tell us what kind of rifle appeals to you and I am sure we will be able to find something that will work well and make you very happy. The worst thing to do right now is impulse buying or buying because someone said it is a good rifle. It needs to be a rifle that you will be comfortable with for years to come.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: southern_hunter194

my mom and dad was wondering what i want for my birthday.
I am thinking a muzzeloader.
So waht kinds would be a go pick for me.
I was wonting something at a reasonable prize and GOOD quality!!

I am 16
Southern_Hunter194,

I am assuming that <$200 is resonable. Walmart has ML stuff on sale right now, most of their guns are < $200. Almost any modern muzzleloader is OK for a starter gun, then if you likeand "get into" the sport you can buy a better gun. My son was 16 when we bought our first MLers, we bought Knight Disc for about $300.

For how to select a good ML please read the
"Selecting and Buying a Muzzleloader" from here:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htmand this for high performance ML

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical2.html

For bullet selection:
http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/EditorsView.html

Another thought is to buy a good used gun, there are several here that sound like good values:
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/813usedblkpowderguns.htm

especially >>any<< TC firearm. They fix any problems no questions asked is the word on the "street/forum". I have an Omega and a TC FL.

For cheap, safe, non portableTreestands to hunt from try these:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/low_cost_tree_stands_for_hunting.htm

For powder, start with pellets since your new, but then go to loose since it is cheaper, better iginition and you can load 80g no problem.

Oh, for a good ML booking buy and read this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873419510/qid=1114882877/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-8867395-7390420?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Best to also have an older friend show you the ropes of MLing.

I wish you the very best in learning and loving this sport as so many of us do, please also bring your buddies into it.

Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM

If closed breech ML's are legal, I recommend the TC Omega. If you must have open breech look into a TC Black Diamond. I have had great experience with both of these guns and am a TC man myself. These are my recommendations. Good luck to you. Let us know what you get and we'll be happy to help you out. I'm 15 myself and love MLing. Happy shooting!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:33 PM

thanks every1 for your time..i apreciate it alot!!
ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

If closed breech ML's are legal, I recommend the TC Omega. If you must have open breech look into a TC Black Diamond. I have had great experience with both of these guns and am a TC man myself. These are my recommendations. Good luck to you. Let us know what you get and we'll be happy to help you out. I'm 15 myself and love MLing. Happy shooting!!!
and is the TC/s very pricy or not..just askin..

also..cayugad and gleason i thanks u as well

i will definatly take your advice!!
see i was just thinkin that my age is a good age to start asking and buying guns i love guns and shoot them alot with my uncle down at the river
pluss he owns a couple MLers that i have shot and he has tought me how to use them properly and so n so
thanks!
>>southern_hunter
Old 01-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: southern_hunter194

thanks every1 for your time..i apreciate it alot!!
ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

and is the TC/s very pricy or not..just askin..

also..cayugad and gleason i thanks u as well

i will definatly take your advice!!
see i was just thinkin that my age is a good age to start asking and buying guns i love guns and shoot them alot with my uncle down at the river
pluss he owns a couple MLers that i have shot and he has tought me how to use them properly and so n so
thanks!
>>southern_hunter
Yes the TC are pricey. Since your Uncle has a couple of MLer which one of these do you like?Another idea is to ask your parents for say $200 towards a ML and then buy it on time for say $5/week. You could then get a better gun, since I feel you are going to be a gun and ML lover. All the accessories is going to cost you another $100. A good gun with all the accessories I believe cayugadestimated to be $600, you can definitely spend less, by going used (I did that for myTC FL, paid $300 and it is a $600 gun). You can also look in the want ads, since it is after hunting season people who don't like them are selling them.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-06-2007, 11:03 PM

You can get the cva wolf at cabelas for $140. Its not the greatest or greatest looking but they are good shooters and good quality. I was around your age when i bought my first muzzleloader, a cheap $60 cba blazer .45 inline. Did great untill i made the mistake of taking it to a gunsmith that didnt know his butt from a hole in the ground. I'd also check out the cva Buckhunter from cabelas, $109. Again, not the greatest for looks but heard they offer good accuracy.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over the years I have bought several new and used rifles and shot guns from Williams. They are good people to buy from and when they tell you a gun is in such and such condition you can bet every dollar it is what they say it is.
My last rifle bought was a used 50 cal Remington 700ML from them. They said it was in like NIB condition and it really did look as if had been shot very little.[] A friend bought a T/C Black Diamond which was listed, as is condition for $85.00 the barrel was in very ruff shape with pits and rust. T/C replaced that barrel free of charge for him. The rifle looks like new now.
Like Dave said visit some store where you can handle some rifles to see what you like. I alsoagree do not impulse buy you will regrett it latter.

Al

Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

Over the years I have bought several new and used rifles and shot guns from Williams. They are good people to buy from and when they tell you a gun is in such and such condition you can bet every dollar it is what they say it is.
My last rifle bought was a used 50 cal Remington 700ML from them. They said it was in like NIB condition and it really did look as if had been shot very little.[] A friend bought a T/C Black Diamond which was listed, as is condition for $85.00 the barrel was in very ruff shape with pits and rust. T/C replaced that barrel free of charge for him. The rifle looks like new now.
Like Dave said visit some store where you can handle some rifles to see what you like. I alsoagree do not impulse buy you will regrett it latter.

Al
Williams, is that a site? can i get the link
Old 01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forth link down on Gleason Chapmans post above.

Al

Quick Reply: muzzeloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.