Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test >

Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test

Old 01-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 'nother Weather Test

oldrookie

That is a 2x7x40 Swift Premier - excellent scope...

The scope is a Swift Preimer 2x7x40 205-658N
- fast focus eyepiece and great lenses... Web Site says $154.?? but the price is different than that when you apply for th unpublished price...

http://www.eabco.com/Swift01.htm

http://www.eabco.com/Swift658.html

The unpublished price is $139 if I remember right....

Old 01-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Saturday evening and I was a bit wrong - we did get a dusting of snow... Temp is 14F Humidity 68

I am now going to bring the gun in and it goes in the unheated garage/shop Temp in the shop is 36F

Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Is your vise suitable for bench shooting? I have one very similar but I wish it had a butt stop.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, I suggested Dave do that test with his Ultra Mag White... but there is really no need. I already know it will fire after nine days of temperature change on a clean load (at least here in Missouri - Nov-Dec). My guess is the rifle wouldn't much care where it was short of being submerged.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

No I do not think it would work well at all... the best thing for that I think would be the gaget they call a lead sled....
Old 01-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

I am really confident it will work just fine, but I think I need to prove it to myself also, but it is what I do all hunting season.... I am really hopingto get to shoot it Monday but the weather man is changing his forecast also... speaking of the weather man can you think of any other well paying job in America that you can be wrong 60/70% of the time and still keep your job!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

None aside from most politicians.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Conclusions -> 'nother Weather Test

Well, I was able to wind this test up today after trap shooting. I drove on out to the rock pit and set up the table and the target.

Actually I was glad to get this over because part of me was really worried about the gun going off - but for the most part I was positive.

Remember this gun was loaded on Saturday 1-6-07 and has been in out since then. Yesterday I was a little more concerned than I wanted to be, the gun had been out all day in14 degrees and lower temps... It snowed on it a bit also.Then late that afternoon it was taken from the deck to the garage - temp in the garage was 36F. It stayed in the garage for 2 hours warming??? up. When I went out to get it from the shop it was 34F - then brought it into the rec room 66F - In my mind if failure was going to occur it was going to be now. But, as I observed it standing in the room the scope never fogged up so I remained confident.

Remember the scope was only bore sighted as I had just recently put it on the leupold base.

Setup at 25 yards - placed the primer and pulled the trigger - it felt really good and was I happy! Loaded two additonal shots to check accuracy and group - you can see the results. Moved the target to 50 yards - but did change bullets - I changed .451 300grain Speer SP bullets. I touched off two of these. Made a scope change (4 clicks right) shot another 3.

I really believe the thing that made this work is the gun never went from really cold to really warm at any time, but the gun did come in the house every evening. This is the same senario that occurs during hunting season - the gun comes from the field to a cold pick up cab warms slowly in the truck cab as the cab warms - Might repeat this process 2 or three times a trip and then finally goes in the house when I get back.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Conclusions -> 'nother Weather Test

Not all surprised.. but thanks for the test and results. We are all so concerned with gun care that it takes a set to put your rifle at risk for "science". Pretty good job on the bore sighting - better than I usually do.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Conclusions -> 'nother Weather Test

On my first test I am positive that the extreme temps and humidity did my rifles in . On the second phase of the test were the temperatures were more constant and the humidity was not as bad, I had the same results as you, with instant igniton and good accuracy.

I am not sure how I will take this information. While I am sure that I could control the rifles and leave them loaded, I guess I feel more secure with just starting each day with a fresh load.

Overall, I liked your test and the way it was conducted.

Quick Reply: Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.