Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bolt vs. Break Action >

Bolt vs. Break Action

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bolt vs. Break Action

Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bolt vs. Break Action

I am now interested in buying an inline muzzle loader. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money, so I am looking for suggestions. I am also wondering what exactly is the advantage of having break action rather than bolt action, or the other way around. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bolt vs. Break Action

The break opens are probably easier to clean. The bolts often times have to be broken down part ways and cleaned. Don't over look the hammer striker rifles. They are normally cheaper and they shoot just fine. All of them will shoot about the same. It just basically is one over the other might take five minutes more to clean. I personally do not own a break open rifle.I like the hammer striker models the best.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

kill_it_n_grill_it

I am a sucker for a bolt - just I guess I am to old to change my vision of what a big game rifle should look like... I still have my two favorites Remington model 700ml's, but the fact is the break opens and the drop blocks are the "in thing." For me I really like them because they reduce the length of the gun. For those of us that like the 28" barrek reducing the length is an added advantage. Next they are suppose to be easier to clean and in most instances maybe they, for me they really are not. The easiest cleaning ML I have is the White, what a simplistic design - it is sort of a bolt, but not really.

Just my 2 cents, but more than design of the action ir is which one feels good and shoot well for you. The shoot well is a good question but again you will get a ton of different answers.

Best thing, find someone in your area that uses ML's and ask to go shoot with them sometime - shoot their gun most of us get a kick out of sharing and teaching... Warning though - once you start shooting you will be hooked. The last factor is budget there is a huge price range out there and most guns offered will shoot well, so how much are you going to use this new gun? The more you use it the better quality gun you are going to want to get. My thermostat there is I ask the new guy what guns do you have now? If he rattles off a few really nice quality pieces, shows pride in what he has i would encourage him to bypass the intro guns and get a quality gun...

Just thinken out loud

OOPs! forgot find out what is legal in your hunting area...
Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Spike

As far as a inline I prefer a break open. Ive owned a bolt action 700ml for many years but the small gap between the scope and the chamber make it hardrd for me to put on a cap. So I bought a encore and like it. A whole lot easier to cap. I also like that I can take the barrel off to clean it.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kill_it_n_grill_it

I am now interested in buying an inline muzzle loader. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money, so I am looking for suggestions. I am also wondering what exactly is the advantage of having break action rather than bolt action, or the other way around. Any help would be appreciated!
You didn't mention a drop breech like the Omega/Apex/Kodiak. Now having owned one, I am very pleased with it. I think you will find the center of balance more comfortable with a break or drop action. The bolt arrangement seems to move the center of balance further to the muzzle.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM

The drop breech's are my favorite now as well. They are extremely easy to clean and completely sealed. The break actions hard to beat as well though.

My recommendation is the TC Omega. I just got mine for $260 from Cabela's. A good inexpensive break action is the NEF Sidekick. I haven't tested it but believe in the reviews. From whatI can tell without shooting it it's a great gun as well as the Omega.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

I'd take the break action simply for the simplicity of cleaning
Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

Are you aware at some point you will have to take you drop block apart and clean the the firing pin and the small cone shaped spring inside + eventually you will need to clean the trigger group...

Cleaning my Omega is not a 10 minute project - cleaning the bore might might be a short project but by the time you do the rest of it - it does add up...
Old 01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

What was not mentioned is the overall length of the rifle with a bolt has to be considerably longer to get the same length barrel. Drop action or break action rifles can have the same overall length as a bolt and have four inches more barrel. As recommended you should try to handle some for your fit, when it comes right down to it the rifle should feel good to you.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ML

I did mention that in my very first post...

Quick Reply: Bolt vs. Break Action

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.