Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Chap & Others -> Ballistic Charts >

Chap & Others -> Ballistic Charts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chap & Others -> Ballistic Charts

Old 01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Chap & Others -> Ballistic Charts

Here are three charts using the bullet information I have compliled. They are all shown with a 6" point blank range - same temp - same altitude - tried to keep everthing equal comparing the 45/250SW 45/300Speer Gold Dot and the 45/300 SpeerUCSP.

This program also actually lets me shoot the bullet at a target - I select the POA and hit enter and it shows POI. I can also add in the wind factor and up and down angles.... it is fun to play with once in awhile - can do it virtually for any bullet if I have the information to plug in...

Well anyway here you go...

Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chap & Others -> Ballistic Charts

Yes, and this program can do it for any bullet from any gun with any charge? Very cool. I can tell from the trajectory of the Speer 300g Unicore, that they drop off the wall after 150, the GD do a lot better and the SW are great. My conclusion is out to 160 all bullets are shooting thru 4" pipe, wheras the Unicore was only good as a plinking bullet out to 130.So for practice on 150 yard targets go with theGD for the SW,right?Barnes makes the program, how much does it cost?
Thanks Chap
Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 PM

SabotLoader,

Is that the ballistics program from the Barnes Gold club? I was checking that out a few weeks ago, looks pretty cool. Are you doing the trial or did you get the program? I was wondering if the fee is good forever or do you need to renew it each year?

Mike
Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

I think it was about $50 can not remember for sure you can go to Barnes Bullets and down load it - gives you few free trys then you have to purchase it....

Justto add more to the mess look @ this chart for a 200 XTP - not a Shockwave a XTP....

Check the velocity and the energy with a 110 grains of T7-2f

Then imagine a 200 grain SW with 150 grain pellet charge out of the barrel @ 2400 fps....

Old 01-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see the energy on this 200G is only 200ft lbs less than the 300g Gold Dot. That is impressive. But why would they not shed their jackets like the 260 and 300g XTP? I am sure the 200g SW with 150g of Pyrodex is going to have a lot of energy downrange, not much bullet drop on the SW either. I tried them in my Knight and Omega, they are the most difficult loading bullet out there in my guns. I didn't try them yet with a split rib, I am not planning on taking any 200 yard shot with my muzzie, so the Nosler will continue to be my bullet of choice until I use them up. Then I will use the XTPs and the Gold Dots. The shoot well in a TC FL with 100g of loose goex, so I am sure they will go nice in an in-line.
thanks I will download the pgm and see how it works.
Is it $50 one time or every year a renewal fee for new guns that have come out?
Chap
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabot loader it would suprise a few people to know just what velocity a 150gr RSgr with a 50/40 200gr SW gets I hate to put what I get out of my Omega because my Chrony is one of the very early ones and I don't trust it 100% but is any one else getting over 2450 fps? And how would this compare to a 250 grSW at 2150? Lee
Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Sabot loader it would suprise a few people to know just what velocity a 150gr RSgr with a 50/40 200gr SW gets I hate to put what I get out of my Omega because my Chrony is one of the very early ones and I don't trust it 100% but is any one else getting over 2450 fps? And how would this compare to a 250 grSW at 2150? Lee
Lee, I think that'd be pretty close for the 200 SW. The 250 SW though, should have more muzzle energy than 200 with the same charge. It must be something about the sabot/bullet resistance in the bore (not just the inertial effects of the bullet weights). Because of the higher muzzle energy, the most efficient is probably the 200. Do youknow off-hand which has the higher B.C. ? I'd test in the Apex but that load is prohibited in the Apex.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pglasgow, I looked them up at one time and I really dont remember but they were fairly close.
My problem is that I can get one hole groups with 150 and the 50/40 200gr but I have to drop the powder load to 130 for the 250's to shoot. I used the 200gr deer hunting this year and was impressed. Lee

Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

HD Road King

Is that the ballistics program from the Barnes Gold club? I was checking that out a few weeks ago, looks pretty cool. Are you doing the trial or did you get the program? I was wondering if the fee is good forever or do you need to renew it each year?
It is from Barnes Bullets..

I bought the program.

It has been a one time so far for me - think I have downloaded 2 or 3 upgrades - have not checked lately...

mike

Old 01-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Pglasgow, I looked them up at one time and I really dont remember but they were fairly close.
My problem is that I can get one hole groups with 150 and the 50/40 200gr but I have to drop the powder load to 130 for the 250's to shoot. I used the 200gr deer hunting this year and was impressed. Lee
Since the 200-150 has way more muzzle energy than the 250-130 and the B.C.s are really close, its energy throughout its flight should dwarf the 250. The 200 beats it hands down. I notice this is a +- 2" elevation load out to 200 yards. Like a Savage.Very impressive and accurate to boot.

Added: Hey Lee, it occurs to me that the 250's developenough pressure and heat with 150 grains that the sabots break down spilling breech gas. Have you recovered spent sabots to compare them? It might explain why the 250has lower muzzle energy than the 200's and why the don't print tightly like the 200's with that charge.

Quick Reply: Chap & Others -> Ballistic Charts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.