Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Apex--tomorrow afternoon >

Apex--tomorrow afternoon

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Apex--tomorrow afternoon

Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Apex--tomorrow afternoon

Well, I've got plenty of time waiting for new years(midnight) so I thought I'd let you know what I'll be doing tomorrow afternoon.

I bought a pack of fifteen sabots again. They're 245 grain copper Powerbelts. I'm gonna do some shooting out of the Apex. Again, I'll be using 100 grains of Pyrodex. I'm gonna make sure it's exactly one inch high at 50 yards. I'm gonna swab with TC's bore cleaning solvent followed by a dry patch after each shot--while fine tuning the sights. After the fine tuning I'm gonna see how it shoots at 100 yards and beyond. I won't be touching the sights there. I think I'll do a test on how bad the accuracy gets without swabbing. I'll try like 5 shots in a row without it and tell you the results. So, tomorrow evening I'll post all of the results in this topic.

I'm gonna go for the gold!!! I'll try and get the best groups I've ever had.

Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Apex--tomorrow afternoon

Good luck with your Apex and the projectiles. I think I will do the same thing tomorrow. I have a couple rifles I want to see how hard I can push them. With the new snow it will be nice and cool and quite outside. Sounds like a good way to end this year and bring in the next one. Happy New Year to you and everyone else on the forum.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, I'm looking forward to the report. Just in case you didn't read this on a previous post, each grad on my Apex is 1" at 50 yards. If you shot a 4 shot group to begin with taking the center of the last three shots, you should be able calculate the precise gradadjustment to get you 1" high at 50 yards. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:35 PM

Well, I shot the Apex and am much more pleased with myself and the gun than last time. I thought thatI was shooting 50 yards but when I counted it off just now it was 60. So, I got the bullet to strike EXACTLY dead on and 1- 1 1/2 inches high at that range. I swabbed between each shot while sighting. The first was a bit too farleft.I adjusted the sights and the next was too high and too right. I adjusted again and it was right where I wanted it but a bit right still. After thenext adjustment I got it absolutely perfect. I decided it was right where I wanted it and decided to test the accuracy levels without swabbing. My next shot was right by the other. The following four shots were all slowly moving further and further out.

After sight adjustmentI ended up with a 3 inch group. Again, this was without swabbing and I didn't get another to go in the same spot as my best one but they all came close.

The conclusion is that this gun is capable of great accuracy without a doubt. At 60 yards a 3 inch group is not great but I am positive I could have had them all touching if I had swabbed. I didn't though(swab), soI could test the difference.

Swabbing is neccessary for the absolute best accuracy but not mandatory until after 6 shots or so. Hunters and people just practicing don't need to swab in my opinion. If you have time and a need for the utmost accuracy swabbing is extraordinarily helpful.

I should have the absolute hunting machine with this gun. I'm proud of my fine purchase. It does great in the snow as well because it was snowing hard when I was shooting. That is one reliable gun.

Catch ya later cause I'm going to a friends til later tonight. Ask any questions you want. Happy New Year once again.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:07 PM

Hey good for you! Im not a swabber with my inline untill after 4-5 shots usually. But now you see how important it is to swab every shot or 2 so you can get the best accuracy for sighting in! I wish these inlines would have click adjustable sights. Its hard to get it exactly dead center with no markings on the windage rail. You'll get better with the rifle as time progresses and you start teaking things here and there. I wish i could have had your day! Instead i shoveled 4 feet of snow off our shops roof.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:40 AM

We got like an inch and a half or something. It was pouring rain and then it turned to slushy snow and everything started freezing. Not pleasant[:'(][:@]--especially since we didn't get enough snow for my other favoirite hobby.

Yeah, the gun was never unaccurate.I was just lazy. It is a pain in the arse to swab.I can't get the patch to come back up after pushing it down the barrel soI have to take the breech plug out every time.I tried a smaller patch but it didn't help.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

It is a pain in the arse to swab.I can't get the patch to come back up after pushing it down the barrel soI have to take the breech plug out every time.
outdoorslover,

your patches are probably too dry. make sure you have them wet enough. I presoak mine in solvent before going to the range. I use a Hornady Great Plains box to put them in. It has a divider so on one side I put the moistened patches and on the other side the dry one's.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

Yeah, the gun was never unaccurate.I was just lazy. It is a pain in the arse to swab.I can't get the patch to come back up after pushing it down the barrel soI have to take the breech plug out every time.I tried a smaller patch but it didn't help.
What kind of jag are you swabbing with? A simple loading jag works fine. This is the one I normally shoot most of my projectiles with...

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=845243

that is the jag I use it to load shockwaves.. also I swab with that jag head as well. Just make sure that the patch is long enough to reach over that head. Work the patch is short strokes. When you reach the bottom work that patch back up the barrel just like you sent it down. It should stay on that jag head just fine. The smaller patch was probably your downfall. You do not want them too large or two short. 1-1/2 by 1-1/2 is good, even a little bigger will do, just no too big or they get hard to shove down and can jam.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

I am going to ask an ignorant question so do not get upset... Are you running a dry patch down the barrel to swab with? I am wondering if that is why it is getting stuck... cause really if it went down it should come back up - unless it is dry - then that leads to problems...

What I have done for target shooting is make up a container of pre-dampened windex patches... I store them in my shooting supplies so they are always with me when I target shoot. Just barely damp not wet.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM

[X(]Yeah, it was dry. I didn't put the solvent on it. I figured that was it but wasn't sure.

Quick Reply: Apex--tomorrow afternoon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.