Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

it sucks

Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 PM

Default it sucks

Well you guys know how i refinished my kentucky a few months back. I noticed there were some dry spots so i took it all apart and have applied 2 coats on tru oil and it just keeps sucking it up. What gives? Just keep adding coats untill it stops sucking it up? A few of the areas finally have taken all the tru oil and look good now but theres a stripe in the wrist and on the side of the stock that just keeps sucking it dry. Im getting it dry over night and then steel wool it and add another coat tomorrow but just wondering how many more coats i should max out on? I originally did 7 coats. I also decided not to get the winchester apex, i found something i need for rendezvous next year and decided to buy it. Although i may get lucky and have enough to buy the apex but not sure as of right now. So what do you think about this tru oil being sucked up?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: it sucks

I've only refinished a couple stocks but I had one like what you're describing. I finally just waxed it. I was shocked it would absorb as much linseed oil as it had.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 PM

I never oiled a stock b4 but the gunle of by boat took a gallon of linseed lioin about a month and a half and it was the size of two 2x8 4.5' long. it is crazy what wood can take. good luck.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 PM

Okay i just added another coat. The first coat actually dried pretty fast. Looks like its finally starting to take it and stay. I'll let it dry over night than go ahead and sand a little with 2000 grit sand paper and give it 7 or 8 more coats. What do you guys think of that tru oil in a spray can? i was thinking that i could use 2 or 3 coats of that after my final hand rubbed coat. I deff. fixed the area on the upper wrist. My new project i mentioned before is....traditions .50cal kentucky flintlock Pistol,i think it will make a nice match with my rifle and plus in some of the rendezvous shootouts you need a pistol. Heard these pistols are amazingly accurate too.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:44 AM

how about a picture of the progress on the stock refinish? Sounds like it starting to look good.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on what you are using. I normally use Tung Nut oil and put on and rub out 16 coats and leave it set for a day between every coat. Lee
Old 12-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Yes keep applyiong coats of Tru-Oil unitl it stops sucking it up and starts building up. That should take 10-12 coats with Tru-Oil. Then apply 3-4 coats after it builds up, forgood depth.

The only problem with aresol Tru-Oil, is that it is prone to run. If you go that route, apply realy light coats, just heavy enough to get rid of the orange peel look. A better bet would be to use Gun Sav'R stock finish from Brownell's http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5529&title=Gun+Sav'R+CUST OM+OIL+GUNSTOCK+FINISH It dries quick, is run resistent (not run proof), is alight-med satin, and is very durable.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM

Heres what it looked like from the factory.

And here it is after i stripped it and refinished the stock, along with bleaching the barrel and lock.

Now im just taking care of those dry spots i found. I checked this morning and it looks great. Im still going to add 7 or more coats to it to make sure and then i'll use birch wood casey to dull out the real shiny gloss. Buy some new brass tacks, cut them down and then install them into the stock and im finished.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM

looks good! Not criticisizing your work, but I think it looked good before you did anything as well. I'd be happy with it either way.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 PM

heres the newest pic from today. Im happy with the way it turned out this time. It looked good when i bought it but the color was wrong and it didnt let all the, i call them birds eyes, stand out. It have a beautiful pattern on the other side, i'll try to take pics of that tomorrow.

Quick Reply: it sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.