Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New BP

Old 12-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default New BP

Ok guys, I need opinions here. Its time for me to upgrade from my old percussion cap BP to oneof the new inline rifles. I dont have a lot of money to spend. (About 250.00dollars max)

What should I get????????

Thanks,
TP
Old 12-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New BP

i really really like my cva optima it shoots great
Old 12-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Is the CVA Optima the one with interchangeable barrels?? Or is that the Optima Elite??

TP
Old 12-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

the optima elite is the one with interchangable barrels but when i got mine they hadnt came out with that yet but i only wanted it for what it was, a muzzleloader....... but it is as accurate as any of my rifles and so easy to clean and load
Old 12-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

If possible you should get to some of the larger black powder sporting good stores and handle as many different brands and models of rifle that you can. See which one that fits you, the balance, etc. After that, start looking for sales, and what rifles you think are the best value. With your money levels, I will guess you would be looking at Traditions, CVA, Winchester, or some of the early Knights and Thompson Centers on the auction sites on on sales.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

What cayugadsaid is best,then if you like the Z5 Omega there are some really good sales on them at Walmart.
I picked one up last year for $160 right after New Year and it has out shot a whole lot of more expensive muzzle loaders and some center fires. Lee