Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 muzzleloader problems >

muzzleloader problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzleloader problems

Old 12-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default muzzleloader problems

I went to try and shoot my gun. Nothing happened but the cap going off. I figured well since I have had loaded for a while maybe the powered got some moisture on it. Any ideas on how I can get the bullet out? I used the screw thingy and screwed into the bullet but I could get it to come out.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader problems

What rifle? Normaly I take the nipple off, take a flint pick or paper clip and dig out a little powder. Replace the powder with 7F, and it should go off. Tom.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

deerhunter1224

The "what rifle is it" question would be helpful... but in most instances you can load up a few grains of powder right under the nipple and shoot the bullet out... but before even that remove the nipple is it clear? is the flash channel clear? What type of bullet/sabot?? is in it...

Old 12-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

well its a tradational. I took the nipple off cleaned dug around to try and break up some of the powered still nothing.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long did you let the charge sit in the barrell?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

deerhunter1224

Well, since you have checked the nipple and worked the channel under the nipple - I would fill the area under the nipple with fresh powder insert the nipple and try shooting it out.... if you got a place you can shoot it out.

If you do not want to shoot it out you are back the ball/projectile screw but before you to try to pull it again - screw the remover in as far as you can, hopefully you have the type of remover that fits you caliber so that the screw goes into the middle of the projectile and not off the side. This time before you try to pull the projectile pour a little bit of boiling water down the barrel - this will heat things up and act as a lubricant...

I am really hopping it is not a SST or Shockwave down there - with the polymere tip on them they are really hard to retrieve.

This is the type of remover I am talking about - one with the brass fitting around the screw - this gets the screw near the middle of the projectile

Good luck... keep us informed...

Old 12-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Since it is a traditional style right, take the nipple out and with your nipple pick push that down through the bolster snail as far as it will go. Then take some powder in your clean dry fingers, and start to pack powder down that nipple hole into the bolster area. When you have it packed to the threads, replace the nipple.

BEFORE YOU FIRE THAT ROUND OFF take your ramrod and re-seat the projectile as far down the barrel as you can. With all the digging and such you might have pulled it off the old charge. Now take that outside and aim it in a safe direction and fire. You should either get a loud full charge going off, or it is going to move the current charge in the barrel up the barrel.

If you saw the round go down range, your clear. But just to check, take your ramrod and drop it down the barrel to make sure. If you drop that down the barrel and it does not disappear, that means the old powder or something is still in there. You will have to repeat the process until you can clear it. Remember to seat that load each time before you try to blow it out or what you have created is a barrel obstruction and it could damage the rifle and you.

The other alternative is to get a CO2 discharger and blow it out that way. Sometimes if you have a good air compresser and the right nozzle, you can take the nipple out and blow the charge out of the barrel with air.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had it loaded for about 2 weeks.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if during that 2 week time you were moving the rifle into and out of extreme temps, the barrel probably condensed and killed or seriously damaged the powder charge. By adding that powder into the bolster it might throw enough fire into the breech that it will fire the charge still. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, did you have it in you're house and then take it out hunting? Cause that can cause condensatoin like cayugad said. Tip I hear from my uncle's friend. He drives some were the night before he hunts with his muzzleloader in the truck/car/van whatever you have. Make sure it isn't loaded. And just drive somewere go to a outdoor store look around. Go to the mall, take the family out to eat. Just go somewere far enough it will get the gun warm from the heat, and when you get home leave the gun in you're vehicle. That way it get's cold with the vehicle at a slow rate and usually it wont start to get condensationg in the barrell. Then when you wake up grab the gun out of the vehicle load it and go in the woods and get one.