Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Let's see you BP deer! >

Let's see you BP deer!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Let's see you BP deer!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let's see you BP deer!

Beautiful buck. I hunt in NY also, with my brother, growing up in PA near the border. Most of the people athis camp use in-line muzzies, only 1 uses a shotgun.The muzzies are more accurage, the bullets are better, and the range is a bitlonger. The only disadvantage is that it is 1 shot,but that is not a limitation since most of usvery good shots with the guns. They are also more fun to shot.
Chap Gleason VA
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Gotbuck,
Our camps nick name is the "Mousetrap"! Yesterday took my son who is on combat leave down there and pulled a stand and did some scouting. Released the mouse traps after the second week and nothing! Here is a neat spot on the property.

I unfortnaually missed a bruiser the first wk of BP in NY about 30 feet away from this new blind. WE moved a few logs for next season. I wouldn't archery hunt this exact spot due to distance to the target. Great ambush location though especially in high wind as deer seek these gullys! I hit a small hemlock branch and the ramrod fell out down the hill. It was sorta of a rookie mistake that I fixed now. See my post on new omega changes and you will see the tip I modified on my XS power rod. Nothing I could have done about the miss as I never hunted that exact spot and apparently didn't have a clear shooing lane. Rifle was dead on. What was even stupider was I shot down the hill again and saw a small branch fall and the bullet did not hit the knot on the dead tree. It just never occured to me to shoot again on flat land w/ a clear lane to the target. I ended up not hunting the following day but my son in law got his first deer w/ BP so it worked out!
Best of luck, Sounds like you got a sweet spot too.
SHills
Old 12-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

wife used my huntsman to take this one this year..
Old 12-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

SHills, Looks like you have a great place to hunt as well. I've always loved open hemlock stands. Great places to stump shoot with archery gear as well.

The rifle I use is by Pedersoli. PA has a short early season, which allows flintlocks, percussion, or in-lines, and scopes. The late season (occurring now) is reserved for flintlock ignition only, with open sights. Aperature sights and scopes are not allowed. I believe maxi/mini balls were legalized in the last few years as well, though my interest lies only with round balls.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first two picture are my 2004 and 2005 Oklahoma muzzleloader bucks, and the last picture is my son's 2006 Oklahoma muzzleloader buck(his first deer with a muzzleloader).

Old 12-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Trophy Hunter - tell your wife congratulations on a tremendous buck. I would love to hear the story behind that one.

Retreiverman - congratulation to you and your son for taking some excellent bucks the past few years. Some year I am going to see something like that in my sights..
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

AK you do the trad bow shoot in PA on that ski resort that goes every yr? I forgot the name. Just didn't have time to attend. Denton Hill?

Boy oh Boy, Glad I asked to see some deer. Thereall are very fine!
Congrats to you all fortaking those deer w/ ML's. I personally like the challenge. Even though most are not using primitive weapons we are are front stuffers!

Keepum coming. Season isn't over in all places yet>>>>
LOL, Hills
Old 12-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first ML deer. Taken in 2004 with my T/C Firestorm pushing 100gr of Goex 2F and a 350 Maxi-Hunter. 20 yard shot, hang-fire caused me to hit him in the neck. He was a shed-antler buck...wounded in the shoulder, you can see some puss if you look close.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

2005 flintlock buck. T/C Firestorm 95gr Goex 2F and 350 Maxi-Hunter. 40 yd shot.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 PM

here is my bp buck, got him 12-16-06. omega loaded with a 45 cal 240gr xtp hp and a mmp sabot, 150 gr of loose 777. about a 90 yard shot, hit him in the neck base,no tracking.

Quick Reply: Let's see you BP deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.