Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loose VS. pellets

Old 12-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Loose VS. pellets

Go to a hardware store and get some PVC pipe and ends. Cut the PVC 1/2 about 4-5 inches (depending on how much powder you like). Glue the cap on one end. Take the second cap and paint it RED. Then you store your powder in there, pull the red end off and you have a nice speed loader for pennies on the dollar. If your loose end is not tight enough, a simple layer of clear package tape willmake it tight for you.

Now my friend does not glue either end. He still paints one end RED but he pulls the RED end off and dumps the powder and then sets that end over the barrel. He then takes the other end off and with a short starter (he made out of metal)using the long nose, claims he can set his sabot. I tried it and can not do it... probably a dexterity thing. Plus, I am never sure until the last minute what rifle or load I am taking so loading tubes with projectiles does not work for me.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:25 AM

Man! Cayugad,

If you are ever up here in MN or passing through to visit your Sister. Let me know I owe you a case of beer or something for all of your great tips. That is a really great idea! I think that Subway's new commercial has nothing over this helpful web-site. My wallet is getting fatter every day that I browse this forum.

Anymore money saving tips would be greatly appreciated, I kind of have my heart set on that little .32 Green MNTN rifle. I think it will look pretty nice hanging below the Knight.

Happy Holidays,
Mike
Old 12-24-2006, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Loose powder for sure!
If I'm using #11's I use the butler creek speedloaders and w/ the 209 I like the TC magnum speed loaders. The compact one.
LOL, Hills
Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 AM

Although I haven't compared the Triple 7 pellets to loose Triple 7, I have done some testing with loose Pyrodex RS against Pyrodex pellets. When you are dealing with magnum charges, the pellets seem to be a little more efficient in terms of burning all the powder. They give a little more speed than the same charge of loose Pyrodex, and also have a narrower SD of velocity. I'm talking primarily about 150 grain charges; although the trend seems to start with charges above 120 grains.

I have also noticed that T/C will often test a gun for accuracy with two 50 gr. Pyrodex pellets and 250 gr. Shockwave, if you send your gun to them complaining of accuracy problems. This is probably no coincidence.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 35mm film cannisters as well...they do a great job for that. Cayugad is walking encyclopedia when it comes to muzzleloading for sure.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

HD,
If you have a 1 hr photo lab close by,stop in and ask for 35mm canisters.I'm sure they'd be happy to pull a few outa the trash.
Still plenty of 35mm shooters around(Me).

BTW - A small pill bottle should also work just grind off the child proof tit.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:35 PM

Thanks AJ52,

I was sent a link for these small plastic medical vials with little plug type caps, they are see through. He said that they are very tough. The price is really great also, I can get a 1,000 of them for $50.00. I am going to ask my buddy if he wants to go in on them. Otherwise it will be a good ebay item. At the very worst my daughters will be able to inherit about 800 of the little vials!

Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 PM

What type of ML are you shooting? Sidelock do not like pellets.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wowww - HD - I was kinda thinking of the small RX bottles we can get at local drug store. 1000 for $50 would last into 22nd century.
I'm thinking El - Cheapo - or - Freeee!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 PM

AJ52,

I was thinking that if I would go that route I could probably package some up in lots of 50 and sell them for a few bucks on ebay. 1,000 is the smallest order that they offer, but they are really nice looking vials. I have faith in ebay also. I once bet my wife that you can sell anything on ebay. She didn't believe me so I took one of my MN license plates and someone bought it for a $1.00. If they don't sell I will for sure have a lifetime supply and they might be handy for trips to the Doctors office.

Mike

Quick Reply: Loose VS. pellets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.