Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 omega breech blow by >

omega breech blow by

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

omega breech blow by

Old 12-20-2006, 05:04 PM

Default omega breech blow by

I have an omega 50 cal, its about 2 years old. It shot good when i first got it, but the last 2 times at the range i noticed alot ofpowder residue at the breech plug. There were 4 other omegas at the range today & none of them had this problem. The accuracy isnt there also, has any one had the same problem & what should i do
Old 12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: omega breech blow by

well you could replace the breech plug if you suspect that is the problem. Or call Thompson Center Arms and discuss the problem with them. They might have a suggestion that will fix the problem.

When you seal your breech plug, do you use tape or just grease?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Never seen one do that myself. I have seen dirty primers that make people think there was blow by.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Breach plugs are like nipples they burn the hole out a little each time you fire them. I know there are some people here that either don't seem to understand that or choose not to admit it for their own reasons. I have had to replace the breach plug in my Omega before it was 6 months old; I heard there was a batch that was not to good.
And remembering that I shoot as much in 6 months as some people do in a life time. Any way the two things you mentionare normally related to that problem if you have a set of calipersfind some thing that fits the hole snug and measure. A new one is 25 thousands and if its as big as a number 60 drill then in my opinion its too big.
As was mentioned above there are several primers that will coat the area with a black residue thatdoes notmean any thing except how dirty your primer is. Hope this helps. Lee
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 PM

Blow by really bad causes outside of breech to get all curded with powder residue and causes a big curd ring on inside of breech were powder and bullet sit
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

torboy

There was a report that some Encore/Omega breech plugs were being erroded by gas cutting on this forum not long ago - but I can not remeber the title to find it for you... Can not even find the one om HPmuzzleloading either right now... If I find it I'll get it to you...

Found it...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1802295&mpage=1

Old 12-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

torboy,
I own two TC Omega's. One I just got two weeks ago is a custom fluted one I just got w/ the blkNON thumb holed lam stock as I'm a lefty. The other is the TC8924 SS/SYN Omega. I bought it the first yr they came out. There are differences in the breach, trigger group/mechanisms, materials, the way they are attched to the barrel AND there is a hole drilled behind and @ the bottom of the barrel behind the breech plugI assume for blowback safety reasons. I like the old original verson best so far. The original rifles trigger had tons of creep that a gunsmith took care of. The new one is excellent.
The problem you mention has never happened to me except when using the new Remington 209 ML primers. The batch I got @ ignition had the center of the 209 domes blow out of the outer shell on about 1/2 of the primers.Standard Winchester 209's have never come apart on me. They dirtied up the breech which is a very small area. Never have I ever had any powder residue get on the scope do to leakage between the beech and the barrel. The new rifle however is different. It allows some primer blow back throught that darn hole I mentioned and it hits the flat casting that drops down. In the locked up position the blast hits and pushes back up to dirty the scope.
Not too happy about that. There was an in line change in the breech plug due to the dome shape and the shoulder of the plug. The new plug was supposed to help prevent that horrible stiff scale ring just about the plug in the barrel from Tripe 7 pellets. Supposedly less w/ loose powder like I use. The new design also prevented pellet breakage.When you use a wetpatch you can feel it just before you hit the plug. If yours is only two yrs oldyoushould have the newer plug. Mine was sent to me free by calling.
The accuracy on the older rifle is EXCELLENT using hornady 67272 SST ML's (250 gr sabots.) If I'm shooting good I can get them to touch @ 100 meters. 110-120 grains of triple7 loose powder. The powerbelts shoot slightly better. If I shoot those 245 grain AT or HP bullets dead on @ 100 meters then the hornady's shoot 2-3" high @ 100 meters directly above on the center line.
I have yet to work up a perfect load yet due to the lam stock rubbing on the barrel in front of the front lug. Probably have shot @ least 500 rds from the older rifle. T
The other fella mentioned the flash hole in the plug wearing out. There is a difference between the two flash holes on my two rifles.The older new revised plug has a smaller hole all the way to the inside of the dome to the orfice. The new rifles plug has a hole large enough to put a pipe cleaner in and clean out the hole to the orfice @ the dome. Engineers did it for areason. I will have to call.
From what people are finding is the prmers are a little too hot and pushing the load forward before full ignition and you then get inconsistant results on paper. I just started using the Rem primers and I did see a slight change but for me it just depends on how I'm shooting that day. I also did change over toa new lb of powder and that new batch can change things slightly too.
I hope this helps w/some of your questions.
Thanks, Hills

Old 12-21-2006, 05:13 AM

I tried all the different primers & powders and got the same results . Going to call T/C and see what they say about the problem. Thanks for your reponse
Old 12-21-2006, 06:27 AM

Never owned an Omega and cannot comment on that. i do know that CVA inlines arefamous for getting the breech area all crudded up. Some primers are much worse than others.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Breach plugs are like nipples they burn the hole out a little each time you fire them. I know there are some people here that either don't seem to understand that or choose not to admit it for their own reasons. I have had to replace the breach plug in my Omega before it was 6 months old; I heard there was a batch that was not to good.

. . .Hope this helps. Lee
I think it helps. I'm gonna keep an eye on my APEX BP and see if and when it it develops blowback. Best I can tell, I have a CVA plug in my Apex, but I really don't know because I have never owned a CVA. I think the design of the Apex plug is brilliant though. From the primer cup there is a large single diameter hole till close to the muzzle end of the plugwhere it pinches down. My sense is it gives thehot primergas"a barrel" to accelerate inas theymove toward the breech. By the time the charge ignites, the channel is pressurized and the primer gases have pile up at the barrel interface opposing the charges pressure momentarily.

Just a theory, but I have ZERO blowback so far. But from your comments, Lee, I suspect I will and willreport that if and when it happens. As everyone knows, I've been keeping track of the usage of my rifles and will be able to report wear as it relates to the number of shots taken.

Quick Reply: omega breech blow by

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.