Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

45 or 50 cal

Old 12-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 45 or 50 cal

Is there really a difference when shooting only deer sized game? Wouldn't 45 be flatter shooting?

Or is 50 still the way to go?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45 or 50 cal

The 50 will shoot flat enough. I would get the 50. You will want it if you decide to go elk hunting some day. Also, it is easier to find 50cal stuff.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mathews boy

Is there really a difference when shooting only deer sized game? Wouldn't 45 be flatter shooting?

Or is 50 still the way to go?
The .45 will diffenately kill a deer, but like Sharp Shooter mentioned, someday you might want to extend the size of your game. I would choose the .50!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Michigans UP a great place to be any time . But go take a look at the slections of bullets & sabots you can buy localy. A 50 cal will have in many places a whole row of slelves full of 50 cal stuff and maybe two hooks with one being for the 45 and the other being for the 54. Our local Wal Mart has nothing for either. The Dunams in Esky last season only had for the 50 and one hook for the 54 nothing for the 45.
So unless you want to buy all your supplies on line then go with the 50cal.

Al
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the others about the availability of 50 cal supplies, but let's consider that you never intend to hunt elk, only deer and deer-sized game. I've hunted for 30+ years, I've killed over 100 deer, literally. I've hunted deer with blackpowder since 1985, that's 21 yrs. and about 55 - 70 deer with blackpowder. I've taken monsters and I've taken does and everything in between. I've shot 45 and 50 cal. I've used roundballs, conicals, sabots; I have used the traditional guns, which I love, sidehammer, flintlock and an inline (on only one hunt). Now, based on my experience, the 50 cal conical is THE best deer slug! Why? It is accurate and has just the right punch for deer. The weight and sectional density of the 50 cal conical hits hard and punches a good hole, both necessary to quickly down a deer and leave a good blood trail. The 45 cal just doesn't have the same punch!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I own a .45 and like it, I would probably recommend getting a .50 for the same reasons everyone else is saying. There's probably not enough difference ballistically to worry about, and there's a FAR greater selection of bullets and accessories for the .50. On paper the .45sometimes has a slight ballistic edge at very long range (i.e. 200+ yards) depending on what bullet & load is used, but let's face it, how often do we really take a 200 yard shot? Or for that matter, how many of us can consistentlyhita deer in the vitals at 200+ yards while in the field? I just got a .45 because I found a decent one for a really, really good price and couldn't pass it up.