Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega ?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Omega ?

statjunk

I thought it was a fluted barrel but it wasn't. Still a very good deal.
I would say that was an excellent deal...for a very good ML.. although if you are shooting a Knight already you know what accuracy is...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad:
Are you trying to bribe your young nephews to drag your deer from your deep swamp expiditions. By the way given away guns don't count at ;east from my boss. She says no money no fun honey.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Johnmorris

Cayugad:
Are you trying to bribe your young nephews to drag your deer from your deep swamp expiditions. By the way given away guns don't count at ;east from my boss. She says no money no fun honey.
Well if that's what the boss said, then you better stick to it. Good thing I never listen to the boss.

There is a couple more rifles I would really like to get, but to justify them is the problem. My collection is very complete and I need another rifle like a hole in the head. I am not like Sabotloader you know.

Now I might start on black powder military rifles and start playing with some of them bigger caliber rifles.. Also a while back I talked my self out of a custom flintlock in .62 caliber with 1-100 rifling. I might have to talk myself back into that.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

One must maintain the peace much more pleasant than the alternative. The other way is like you have so many they can't keep track.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM

[/quote]
I have made a new change in life. No more rifles for me unless I sell some of the ones I have. And that's not going to happen. Although I do plan giving a few away this Christmas to some of my nephews. So that would count I think...
[/quote]

Uncle Cayugad, remember me? Nephew stick. Let me know if you need my new mailing address for the Christmas guns...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Z5. Sabotloader is correct in that the trigger assembly cannot be disassembled. It also comes in only one model - blued barrel and black synthetic stock. Same Green Mountin barrel.

I love mine. This is the second season with the rifle and it has accounted for 5 deer. I shot a doe yesterdan at 143 yards with the Speer Gold Dot 300 gr bullet and 115 gr. of loose Triple 7.

Stainless is overrated for me because I am anal about cleaning the gun after every hunting shot or range session. I mounted a Nikon Buckmasters 3X9 scope on the "one piece" Talley base/rings and the gun shoots great with this combination. If your barrel is tight like mine get some HPH-24 sabots from Modern Muzzleloading Products (MMP) and loading is a lot easier.

You made a great choice.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my two muzzloaders today for about six hours at the range. I'm actually a little bit afraid of what I'm going to say. I like the Omega better than my Knight Master Hunter II. Not to mention that my Knight was shooting badly today.

The Omega was very accurate and I think it could get much better. It shot 3 shot groups at 50 yards at an inch and the thickness of a dime. At a 100 yards I was between 1.75" and 2". I was using 2 777 pellets and 250gr shockwaves.

The Omega has a better ramrod and anequal if not better trigger. I really liked not having to use the red or in my case orange primer discs. The primers would just fall right out after the trigger assembly would fall.

The things that didnt meet my expectations are only two. The stock in my opinion is sub par. The hand swell is very narrow and doesn't fill the palm. (I have medium to small hands) The other has to do with the trigger assemply and the primer. I had a couple of primers hang up in the swing mechanism. Theoretically I believe it may be possible over time that a spent or attempted to load primer could fall between the trigger assembly and the stock cause a difficult to clear jam.

Overall I really like the rifle a lot. I may need to try some different bullets to see what might bring her groups in. I have a lot of faith.

Tom
Old 12-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pic.

Tom

Old 12-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the knight and Omega together.

Tom

Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

The Omega has a better ramrod and anequal if not better trigger. I really liked not having to use the red or in my case orange primer discs. The primers would just fall right out after the trigger assembly would fall.

The things that didnt meet my expectations are only two. The stock in my opinion is sub par. The hand swell is very narrow and doesn't fill the palm. (I have medium to small hands) The other has to do with the trigger assemply and the primer. I had a couple of primers hang up in the swing mechanism. Theoretically I believe it may be possible over time that a spent or attempted to load primer could fall between the trigger assembly and the stock cause a difficult to clear jam.
Those are some mighty fine rifles there

I like thedrop action design alot also. I was wondering how the Omega did for letting the primers loose, great to hear it did well with that. My Apex has a similar drop action. One thing I did to prevent the primers from falling under the barrel (between barrel and trigger assembly block) was to spin the rifle so trigger guard was up. Pull and the primers popped out like they were ejected!

Also I noticed that the spentprimers were capable of sealing and I could feel myself compressing air as I loaded ballets when spent primers were in the plug. The seal was good enough that the compressed air could lift the bullet and my light aluminum range rod. As a matter of safety, I began removing the spent primer immediately after firing, before swabbing and reloading.

I am also interested the Omega. I am curious, does any blowback soot foul the breech area?

Quick Reply: Omega ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.