Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gun Oil Gumming

Old 12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Spike

Default Gun Oil Gumming

I've been using Hoppe's 9 lubricating oil on my black powder rifle and it has been leaving a red-orange residue on the screws, bolt, and etc. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what oil have you switched to? I like the oil because it doesn't have a strong odor, but the gumming is a problem.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Gun Oil Gumming

Breakfree CLP is the only oil I use. It's good stuff.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AppalachianTracker

I've been using Hoppe's 9 lubricating oil on my black powder rifle and it has been leaving a red-orange residue on the screws, bolt, and etc. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what oil have you switched to? I like the oil because it doesn't have a strong odor, but the gumming is a problem.
Just based on that gumming effect alone, I would not use it anymore. I use Birchwood Casey Sheath or Breakfree CLP and they seem to work real good.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

AppalachianTracker

When you say your black powder rifle - do you mean that literally - are you shooting real black powder or a substitute... that could be the some of the gumming problem if you are shooting real BP...

Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Spike

I'm using a substitute (777). I did consider that the primer or 777 was causing the effect but ruled it out because of the color of the gumming. Also, the screw that connects the stock to the barrel had some gumming on it. I doubt that the primer or the 777 could cause that. Thanks for the information I will try the BreakFree CLP and hopefullyget better results.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

AppalachianTracker

T7 powder - go with Cayugad... I use both of his recommended products the breakfree is a great product and the sheath is just that it will dry to a sheath - given enough time...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never oil the stock screws. Hoppes is old school and has not kept up with technology.That Hoppes stuff in the orange plastic bottle isthe weakest of allname-brand gun oil.I use Ballistol (short term), Birchwood Sheath (long term) for the bore and Breakfree CLPon action parts with my guns. Birchwood makes a small tube of Choke Tube Lube with anti-seize in it. I use that on metal-to-metal screw-inparts.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

I never oil the stock screws. Hoppes is old school and has not kept up with technology.That Hoppes stuff in the orange plastic bottle isthe weakest of allname-brand gun oil.I use Ballistol (short term), Birchwood Sheath (long term) for the bore and Breakfree CLPon action parts with my guns. Birchwood makes a small tube of Choke Tube Lube with anti-seize in it. I use that on metal-to-metal screw-inparts.
i agree with you all too..at skeet shoots,ole sproul watched what the beretta shotgun owners used on their pistons area inside the forearm ..these guys are experts at making sure that piston recycles the next shell up into chamber..

the product i saw them using is BREAKFREE CLP..i use as dave says, birchwoods sheathIN my bore of muzz to store and i spray it all over barrel after it gets a bath of hot water/soap..
r
Old 12-17-2006, 07:41 PM

I use Remington oil and haven't had any problems.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Easy solution ----> Birchwood Casey Sheath (now called Barricade). End of problems.

Quick Reply: Gun Oil Gumming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.