Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I owe an apology to the group! >

I owe an apology to the group!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I owe an apology to the group!

Old 12-09-2006, 11:12 AM

Default I owe an apology to the group!

I need to apologize to everyone on this forum for my rant on the elephant video. I am very sorry for the post and for having carried on like that. Looking back on my post it was a very stupid thing to have done. Believe me I will never post again, without first thinking before clicking! I was just trying to express my views on videos like that, spreading like wildfire over the Internet. It seems to happen quite often these days. The point that I intended originally, was why give the anti- hunting groups more fuel for the fire. I realize that everyone has different objectives for what hunting means to them. I should never have slammed the hunter in the video or Jim Shockey just because they enjoy trophy style hunting. Having lived in Alaska for awhile last year I really did come to appreciate the abundance of wildlife they have. I still love to hunt and fish during any free time that I can get out. Although I am guilty for caring about endangered wildlife, no matter where it lives.I guess this makesmea "Bunny Hugger" that loves to hunt, if that's possible. I was taught to hunt with a similar style as Pglasgow's beliefs. I just really love being in the outdoors and for myself hunting and fishing go hand in hand. I actually have been hunting since the age of 7 so killing my quarry is something that I am very used to. The video I guess just presented a different style of hunting than what I am accustomed to. Although I should never have condemned someone for the style of hunting they choose to do. I usually do not post on forums and I guess that was my fault with the rant. I actually had just stumbled across this forum last week, I was looking for information on Muzzle-loading. I really did not intend to cause the controversy. This probably explains why I drove truck and had not gone into Politics. I also reallyowePglasgow a HUGE THANKS for jumping into the boiling pot that I had created and trying cool the stew.

Again to the group in whole,
I apologize,
Mike Roda
Old 12-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I owe an apology to the group!

I knew where you were coming from all along. Its great that you have come to realize that you are membersomething bigger than yourself and bigger than one person. All of the hunting community are necessary to the continuance of hunting and hunting traditions, whatever those traditions may be.

Considering the fact that there are so many differing views and understandings among individuals, I think it is beneficial, every now and then, to reflect on the image (and the images) we project to the non-hunting public. It also beneficial for all to realize that there isn't just one way to be a hunter, and more than one viewpoint on what is ethical.

Canadians may be sighing relief to electing conservatives who favor hunting rights of citizens, But unlike in Canada, conservatives (supportive of gun ownership and hunting) are currentlyin decline politically and the coming years are going to be challenging regarding the maintenance of our hunting and gun ownership rights. I believe we will succeed only by sticking together and presenting an image which shows we do what we say, (as opposed tosaying what we do).

Old 12-09-2006, 12:27 PM

Mike. Thanks for having the dignity to publically apologize. Now that I think about it, I have had a few moments in my 45 years of hunting that affected me similarly. I really don't care for the pheasant and quail hunts where the birds are in a launcher and someone hits a button to make them flush. I also got a chance to hunt on what was described as a "game ranch" once - turned out to be nothing more than a small farm of semi domesticated exotic game animals. Couldn't go there. I also went with a guy quite awhile back to run his trap line and actually wanted to release the caught coyote at the point he shot it in the head with a .22 pistol. But at the same time, I really like coyote hunting. Funny how certain things will offendone person and not another . . . .
Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

uckayak2_mn

I do not feel that an applogy is all that necessary, I guess I read your original message with a different slant than some others. I read into it your heart more than your words.

Not all of us a gifted writers - gifted enough to write to what we feel in out heart and have everyone understand what we are saying. I know I am certainly not one of those...

If they could have seen you and your body language as you wrote a more true understanding of what you were trying to say would have been obvious.

Have a great Holiday season

mike
Old 12-09-2006, 01:00 PM

uckayak2mn: It is a free country (so to speak), you have a right to express your opinion. No need to apologize for that. If anything, the response you got, was at times, a little harsh.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

You do have the right to express your opinion, and you did make a valid point on the anti-hunters.
As for the rest most of us are going to enjoy what we like, weather the fanatics like it or not.
Lee

Old 12-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I did not read any further on that thread after viewing the video so I guess I had the same reaction as you. It broke my heart in a way. Unless an elephant is causing death and destruction I see no reason to shoot them. I personally have no desire to take beasts just for the sake of killing them. I also feel if you have an elephant problem there are more humane ways to take them down.

It is ok for other people to do what they do, you don't have to agree with what they do to support their rights though[:@]

I guess I am making no sense but I don't walk around with "save the elephant" signs but at the same time I would not participate in the sport of taking them. Besides I here they taste like spotted owl[X(]
Old 12-10-2006, 10:20 AM

Thanks for accepting my apology,

Believe me, I will give some serious thought as to the recoil that could result before I reply to a post again. I have been out of school way too long, but I remember in Science class "for every action there is a re-action" or something like that. Again to Pglasgow,who chose to jump in & try to rescue me from from the fire,Thanks! Pittsburgh hunter, I really got a laugh out of your reply, that was funny! I will be re-tiring the uckayak2 screen name,I actually used it while we were in AK and I was looking for paddlers to kayak with. I will be using HD Road King as my screen name for now on and try to forget my blunder. Although I probably will try to find a "Warning I brake for elephants " bumper sticker. That way if you read my sticker you can just give me a wave and we can stop for a beer or two. I guess if anything I found a new passion that I never even new existed in myself, just kidding.

Mike
formerly: uckayak2_mn