Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Mueller Scope on Huntsman? >

Mueller Scope on Huntsman?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mueller Scope on Huntsman?

Old 12-07-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Mueller Scope on Huntsman?

I have a new NEF Huntsman 50 cal muzzleloaderand I'm considering putting an "inexpensive" scope on it. I ran across the Mueller Sport Dot 3X9-40 IGRthat has an illuminated red dot for around $150. Does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the Mueller scopes or any thoughts as to a good scope in this price range?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mueller Scope on Huntsman?

I've looked at those scopes but the gimmick of the red dot never caused me to purchase one. I'd personally go with a Nikon Pro Sport, Bushnell Dusk to Dawn, Sightron S1 or something like that. If you get the Mueller, let us know what you think of it. I have to admit is has always interested me...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

tjcnole

I have a 4.5 x 14 APV Mueller on my .17 and I love it - but I don't know about putting it on a ML or big game rifle - but if Mueller says good it would probably work just fine... but I really would second cayugad thoughts....
Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 AM

I don't have a Mueller, but I have shot Sabotloader's .17 and while I don't love it (cuz it aint mine),I thought it was an excellent scope for the money. It is a lot of scope for a little over $100. I think they can be had for $112 from one of the Mueller distributors. I have read mostly very good reports about the Mueller scopes.

But, for the same money you can get a Nikon ProStaff 3-9 or a ProStaff 2-7 for a little less. I don't think you go wrong with one of these. I just bought a 3-9 with BDC reticle the other day. I had 20% off coupon at a local store and got the scope for $126. I mounted it on a 243 Savage, but haven't shot it yet.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:48 AM

i havea red dot scope on my 20 gauge rifled barrel shotgun and on my crossbow. The shotgun is used at 75 yards or less for hog hunting.

i agree with cascadedadon the Nikon Prostaff. Have hada 4X Prostaff on my muzzleloaders for years. In the meantime three or four other scopes have bit the dust due to recoil.This scope is currently on my backup M/L-an old CVA Staghorn.This scope is very good in low light.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:09 PM

Mueller Scopes have excellent reviews on the web. Use your browser and look them up. I'm going to try their MX-1 Red Dot.
Bill
Old 12-10-2006, 07:08 AM

As many of you all know the number of moderate to down right inexpensive scopes on the market now is bewildering. I have a NCSTAR 4 power EER (extended eye relief) on a Rissian Mosin Nagant carbine. It is a Scount Mount set up. Made in China and while some have had good luck with them some have had failures. I have over 1000 rounds through this set up and the scope is still working fine. The rifle and scope combination is also very accurate. The optics are not Leupold qulalty but suffice for my circumstances!!

I think a person should be prepared to experiment some if looking for an inexpensive scope. Spend what you can afford and read between the lines when checking out reviews. I have less than forty dollars in the scope and have been very pleased. If it had of failed I could of had it replaced under warranty but would have to pay the shipping. Better to buy locally from an honest distributor when you can.

Good Luck!!
Bill
Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Mueller 2-7 on my Omega and love it. It has the red dot feature but I find myself not using it. It's never let me down, hasn't fogged, and has great low light compensation. Two friends I've shown it to have bought one also and they feel the same about it. I would recommend it.