Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flash pan Load

Old 12-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Flash pan Load

I have a Lyman GPR Flinlock and was wondering if there are pros and cons to the load in the flash pan??? I have never actually experimented with the pan load yet. Any help would be great!

I currently use the Xtra large pan Charger and put 2 or 3 charges of Goes ffff in the pan. Is this too much??

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Flash pan Load

I use goes 3f when hunting and goex 4f when on the target range. I have a small pan flask that dumps 3 grains into the pan when you strike it to the pan. It seems to work real good. I also like to put the powder towards the outside of the pan so you get no fuse effect.

All rifles are different I was told . Some like a lot of pan powder and others, less is best. All you can do is experiment and see what your rifle likes.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 7F, and fill the pan 1/2. Tom.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 PM

I to have wondered this question I use tc hawkin and fill it about half way. When I started this it seemed to help my grouping cause it cut down on the big flash in my face. So... was this the right thing to do or not and should mabie use less.

[/align]
Old 12-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

those pan flasks that throw 3 grains actually seem to throw a lot of powder when you look at it.. but it seems to work and that's the main thing.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 flinter's. !/2 full on my pans=1/2 of my flash hole covered. I have been told by target shooters that this allows more spark in the flash hole, and gives a minute increase in speed of ignition. And also more reliable ignition. They told me that when you cover the flash hole you can actually retard ignition.

I am no expert, but I watch some experts shoot, and hunt. They fill their pans up to the flash hole with 7F. I shoot silhouette shoots in south eastern PA. And in PA, flinter's are the law. So you see alot of flinter's here. Tom.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:12 AM

I hope pa never changes the flint lock season in 20 years hunting flint lock I probably have run into two dozen hunters. To me one on one with a deer is one of the most exciting things. Nothing against in lines but right now we don't have to wear orange and can dress in full camo. I plan on getting an in line for the regular rifle season, and with this fourmI know I'll make the right choice.I have often wondered why the colder it is the quicker theignition and it seems so crisp and sharp like a rifle. 3 f down the pipe 4 f in the pan?

[/align]
Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I have a Lyman GPR Flinlock and was wondering if there are pros and cons to the load in the flash pan??? I have never actually experimented with the pan load yet. Any help would be great!

I currently use the Xtra large pan Charger and put 2 or 3 charges of Goes ffff in the pan. Is this too much??

Thanks!
Use about half a panfull, up tothe bottom edge of, BUT NOT COVERING, the touch hole. You want the flash from the pan powder to go up and into the touch-hole as quickly as possible, to give you the fastest flash-boom time you can get. Properly installed and loaded, a flintlock can have a lock time of 1/1000 of a second, or less!

The worst possible situation is when the powder actually covers the touch-hole and has to burn through before the main charge ignites. This is called a "fuse effect", and is to be avoided........ Just don't use that much powder.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the help everyone! I do know that I have experienced the "fuse effect", now I know why! What a great help!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not all flintlocks are setup properly...The touch hole should actually be covered by the edge of the frizzen closest to the barrel when closed...This ensures that prime doesn't get into the touch hole...Some factory flinters have the touch hole set too low...(Below the top edge of the pan)...In this situation the priming could actually be covering the touch hole when loaded and the priming has to burn below the touch hole to ignite the main charge...This is why you experience delays...It also helps with these setups to tip the rifle before you shoot so the priming slides away from the touch hole so you don't have the fuse effect...

But of my flinters are custom and it doesn't really matter if I use a half pan or a full pan...Because the touch hole is in the proper position...

Quick Reply: Flash pan Load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.