Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Peep Sights in heavy woods??? >

Peep Sights in heavy woods???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep Sights in heavy woods???

Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Spike

Default RE: Peep Sights in heavy woods???

I'm not sure a peep sight would be much better than a low powered scope in heavy cover. The BP gun I ordered will have a scope, but I use open sights on my shotgun when I know I'm going to be in the heavy stuff and I the open sights underneath the scope on my .270 for quick heavy cover shots.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I use peeps on my Hawkens and for the most part I enjoy them. In thick bush in low light I had to quite hunting approx 45 min before the end of the shooting day due to it being too dark for the aperature. I will go back to Irons for this reason alone. A majority of my hunting in thick stuff and though a larger peep would work better, it is far from the iron sights.

I still love peeps for accuracy though.
Eric
Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

gelarson, I guess thats a matter of eyes and opinion; I am 70 and my eyes are not what they used to be but I can shoot a ghost ring awhile after the light stops me with irons. You are right as far as regular peeps are concerned. Lee
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks again everyone,
This forum sure is very helpful! I am going with the Williams sight Breech mount model FP. I really like the idea of switchable appertures for different lighting conditions. This will be great for stand hunting and stalking, very quick changes.

Mike
Old 12-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a peep sight in4 to 5 year oldsecond growth clear cuts. It was a Lyman fold downtang mounted with the big ampture. Learned to use it with both eyes open and worked great. I now have one on my Hawkins and once again I can shoot and hit withit and my old eyes
You might also want to install a fiber optic front sight to help during low light.
Once you install the peep pratice useing it on moving birds and such to get used to it.

Al