Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Leaving load in overnight?? >

Leaving load in overnight??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leaving load in overnight??

Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Leaving load in overnight??

I hunted today, and will be going out again in the morning. Should I pull the bullet, and remove the shot charge, or can I leave the gun as is tonight? My father always says to leave the gun in the car so the temperature change won't affect the shot charge, but I live in the city, and hunt a suburban wood lot 15 minutes away, so i don't feel comfortable leaving the gun in the car. Opinions please?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:01 PM

Default RE: Leaving load in overnight??

I've left my load is for as long as a week. had no problems when I fired it. I did however take out the primer.

Leaving the load in there will be fine.

I also even brought mine inside after being outside. 20degrees out side. 70ish inside, Never had any problems
Old 11-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Flairball

I hunted today, and will be going out again in the morning. Should I pull the bullet, and remove the shot charge, or can I leave the gun as is tonight? My father always says to leave the gun in the car so the temperature change won't affect the shot charge, but I live in the city, and hunt a suburban wood lot 15 minutes away, so i don't feel comfortable leaving the gun in the car. Opinions please?
In your situation where you do not feel safe leaving the rifle in the car then by all means take the rifle and pull the load. Dump the powder, push the projectile out, and simply patch the barrel dry. Be sure and wipe the outside down, and then reload fresh in the morning...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 PM
bigcountry

I leave mine loaded up to 2 weeks before. Especially during ML season.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do as your father recommends-just don't take it into a heated room where condensation can form in the barrel and wet the powder charge, but only if you have a safe, unheated place to leave it. If not, then draw the ball and dump the powder! Always remove the cap, regardless!

One week in the Adirondacks I left my rifle loaded all week, and left it in an unheated woodshed at night. At the end of the week (NO DEER!!) I fired it at 100 yards, and it was still dead-on (Clean Shot powder, Power-Belt bullet.)
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter_15

I've left my load is for as long as a week. had no problems when I fired it. I did however take out the primer.

Leaving the load in there will be fine.

I also even brought mine inside after being outside. 20degrees out side. 70ish inside, Never had any problems
yeah i always leave mine in for like a week, but always store it in the same temp.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also leave mine in the car like your father. I just remove the primer.

Tom
Old 11-29-2006, 03:59 PM

I leave mine loaded without the primer in,and store it over night in my unheated garage.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

By all means empty that gun and reload the next morning. Some people are just plane lucky I'm not I wrote in here about 2 years ago what happened to me deer hunting with my muzzleloader and condensation. Iwill never (repeat) Never leave a charge in my gun and bring it in the house and think its going to work. It did hundreds of times but the one time I really needed it to work it didn't. By the way how luckyare you.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always unload using my C02 Load Discharger. Even if I go out in the morning I will start fresh in the afternoon when I go back.

Quick Reply: Leaving load in overnight??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.