Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Stock Bedding >

Omega Stock Bedding

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Stock Bedding

Old 11-26-2006, 07:06 AM

Default Omega Stock Bedding

After reading Sabbotloaders post and having prevouisly looking how flimsy my stock looked. I was thinking of bedding my Omega synthetic stock. I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing one. Did you put in something to help shore the recoil luggs? And was the barrle floated when done? Did it help the performance? Or would I be better off buying a lam. wood stock.Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Omega Stock Bedding

I hope you get some answers on this one as I am interested in a laminated stock myself. When I do find it necessary to take my Omega apart Iuse a torque measuring screw driver to put it back together it has mantained excellant accuracy and the same impact point with out any problems. I have noticed that many people over tighten the stock to barrel and recoil lug screws on guns I have worked on. If I might offer a suggestion check the barrel channel to see if its humped any at the screws. Lee
Old 11-26-2006, 12:10 PM

I think you are going to find that the laminated wood stocks will be a more stable platform than about any of the plastic stocks. Increased weight is the tradeoff. And a plastic stock, if the barrel channel is free floated generously, can hold zero very capably.

I use JB weld almost exclusively as a bedding compound. The slow dry stuff. And you must use a release agent. The stuff Brownell's sells is very good.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you Roskoe, one of the reason I like the idea of a laminated stock is the better balance and added weight,Normally I would expect it to shoot better to but I doubt if this one could. Its really kind of a joke on me I could not pass on 160 for an Omega at the walmart closeout last year so I thought I would use it for trading when I tried it outand it shotlike a varmit rifle group so I guess i'll have to do with out the stainless barrel but I might get the laminated stock. Lee
Old 11-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I am also going to buy a laminated stock for my Z5. TC has a nice looking Brown Laminated stock that they make for Sportsmans Warehouse. See link. I also think the rifle will probably feel more balanced with the laminated stock.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=8929
Old 11-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

yakfisher

That is a really nice looking stock - wish mine came with that one...

Old 11-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

versdog

I am sitting here with the composite stock in my lap studying your proposed question... I am going to bed this one but it will not be till after hunting season probably January.

From what I see right her in front of me I am going to: (Geez you are not going to believe what i just found - had to get a magnigying glass out but the bottom of the front lug is "cracked" - not all the way through the stock but it is definitely cracked - now wonder the gun moves back and forth in the stock.... Sending this back to TC...)

1. Build a wood block (dam) in 1" in front of the front lug - fill that area to the front of the front lug with fiberglass to the heighth of the front lug.
2. Fill the area between the front and rear lugs to the heighth of the lugs.
3. Build a wood block (dam) at the rear of the rear lug - not sure how far back without setting the action in the stock.

Once the bottom of the stock is filled and set that will provide a lot more stability to the lugs.

The last step for me will to put glass in the lugs and set the action in - that will glass the action to the stock. The barrel and the sides of the action will still be free floating.

But all this is a moot point for me right now as I will have to send the whole works back to TC - I wish they would just swap stocks.

Anyway my thoughts...

Old 11-29-2006, 09:34 PM

Versdog, Lemoyne, if you purchase a laminated stock to drop your Omega into, keep in mind that the comb onT/C's laminated stock is aLOT lower than the synthetic stock. That low comb might cause problems, especially if you're a bit tall and lanky as I am. I could never get a proper cheek weld on my laminated Omega, and my Leupold VX-II kept coming back and bashing me. [:'(]Only after Iput one of those comb extensions/risers on it as well as Weaver extended scope rings on the VX-II can I shoot it comfortably.

The laminated stock also appears to have more drop to the heel of the butt pad if you compare pictures of the stocks. If you're used to a classic American high, straight comb, you have to learn to rock with the recoil of a laminated Omega stock -- that's why that check weld is so important.

That said, I find the laminated stock Omega does havereally nicebalance and heft. Much prettier than synthetic, too. It just took a bit of doing to make that stock fit me.

Paul
Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

What is bedding?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 PM

condensed answer is that it fiberglass that is added to the inside of your stock and formed to you rifles action before it dries. This makes a stiffer, better stock that allows the action of the rifle not to move around in the stock from shot to shot.

Quick Reply: Omega Stock Bedding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.