Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buying In-line... need help >

Buying In-line... need help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying In-line... need help

Old 11-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buying In-line... need help

I'm going to buy an in-line and need some help. I hear good things about the Omega, but it is a bit more than I want to spend. I had my eye on a Tradition Pursuit Pro XLT Muzzleloader, because it seems to have all the features without the big price tag. I was also considering using pellets instead of loose powder, but I am not sure if this is a good way to go. Since I have shot many traditional cap-lock guns and flint-locks, I wasn't sure if these newer in-line guns shot good groupswith a standard 100 or 150 grain load. I like the thought of easy clean-up(unloading) of pellets, but I don't have any experience with them. I have shot a bunch of blackpowder guns in my day, just not the newer type in-lines. Any advice would be helpful.

One more thing. Any suggestions on load, sabot and bullet combos would be helpful. I saw some good things about the 300 grain Gold Dot HP 454 Casull bullet combined with the HPH-24 sabots for deer and may go that route. I like to knock down deer or hit them good enough so they don't run far, so the purpose of this gun will be to knock the snot out of deer. The longest shot where I hunt will be 100 yards. Easy clean-up is also desired.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM

Default RE: Buying In-line... need help

persuit pro is one of the best Muzzleloaders traditions offers. If you can use sabots then give them a try. If you read some mosts you'll find that those 150 grain mag loads tend to open up your groups. Or you could always give the powerbelts a try in the Pro. Really just up to you and what you like or can afford. Im not sure what your price tag is but cva/winchester/ new frontiers are great and cheap to buy. Let us know what you get.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'm almost set on the pursuit pro xlt.Ifpellets can keep decent groups, I'll stick with 2 50 grain pellets. I used to hunt with 70 grains and a round ball. I can't imagine why i would need 150 grains, nor do I think my shoulder would like that load to much. I've shot Traditions muzzle loaders in the pastand feel they make a great product. I guess the pellet discussion can be a whole different topic.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 PM

i dont see a problem with pellets. I prefer loose because at $13 a lb and 70-80 shots per pound VS god only knows how many with pellets. But i think 100 grains pellets and a bullet or sabot would get it done. Seeing how you shoot round ball, you like the lighter weight bullets. I do to. I used a 385 grain great plains bullet this year so i had to kiss the 140-150 shots goodbye and go back to the 100 yarders or less. Either a 245 -270-295 grain powerbelts will do the job perfectly. even the 338 and 348 i would consider. You pretty much just have to pick one bullet/powder and give it ago and see what it shoots like.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I think all too often people mistake inline rifles with ease of cleaning and outstanding long range accuracy. What you need to understand is inlines are not easier to clean. Pellets will not make your rifle easier to clean. Any time we shoot one of these, we have to clean the rifle. I personally think an inline takes me longer to clean then a traditional rifle.

Easy unloading is true. Pull the breech plug and you can dump the powder and sabot. As for long range accuracy, I take it you're going to scope the rifle. Otherwise the long range accuracy will not be all that much more then a traditional rifle.

I have no experience with the Tradition's Pursuit Pro butI have shot a lot of inline rifles and with a scope, they are accurate. Some extreme distances can be made with them. I am sure the pursuit pro would do the same.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I guess i should have made a distinction between easy to clean and easy to unload. I understand BP cleaning but i guess what i should have said was "easy to unload". Unloading a flint-lock means shooting it and cleaning it. Unloading an inline means taking the breach out, drop the pellets/powder, puch the bullet out and run a bore-snake down it once
Cleaning a.62 cal. smooth bore is not fun, but they are fun to shoot and do a good job on deer within 50 yards(I actually progressed backwards, but now want easier). As far as range. 100 yards is probably all i need, and yes I will scope it. I've done some work to my deer hunting property andI just am not sure I want to use myole flinterat 100 yards. Although I can do 100 yards with my smooth bore on a target, I would rather put them down quick and humane.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 PM

I recommend the NEF Sidekick as usual. I think of it as a much better value than the Pursuit. The Omega is probably worth the money but if you can't afford it then it isn't worth it.

I don't use powder and don't like it. I use Powerbelts or any T/C or other quality bullets. The XTP Mags and cheap Shot sabots are great for the money.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any Thompson Center or Knight is good. THey all shoot well.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 AM

Oops--correction guys. I meant to say thatI don't use PELLETS. I prefer the powder. It's cheaper and I can use any amount or grains.