Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Another XTP Report >

Another XTP Report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another XTP Report

Old 11-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another XTP Report

Took my Black Diamond out again yesterday afternoon, trying to get one more day in before rifle season came in today. Had a great day! Saw about 30 turkeys and 6 deer. Well to make a long story short, I got my first double ever and took two mature does. The first was a quartering towards me neck shot at about 30 yards that dropped her in her tracksand the other (10 minutes later)was a 90 yard broadside shot. After the second shot and the smoke cleared, I didn't see the deer anywhere. I did hear it crash after the shot so I felt good about it. I waited a little while to get down just in case. It was gonna get dark soon so after about15 minutes I got down and started looking for my deer. I looked and looked for about 20 minutes and couldn't find a speck of blood anywhere. It was really starting to get darknowand I was starting to get discouraged. As a last effort, I walked up this hill where I thought I heard the doe crashing through. I was elated when I found her perched up against a log. She was about 150 yards from where I shot her. It ended up I madea nice shot right behind the shoulder which blew out her heart and lungs. Her heart was actually almost split in two separate pieces. There was a huge blood poodle where I found her, but to my surprise, absolutely no blood anywhere else. Granted the lightwas starting to fade, however, I looked about 20 yards all around where I found her and found no blood whatsoever. My 240 gr XTP did pass completely through her. My entrance and exit hole, however, wasn't that big at all! About the size of a nickel going in and a quarter coming out. I love the accuracy that I am having with the XTP's but being new to the BP game and the big puff of blindingsmoke that comes after the shot, I'm thinking about going back to the Shockwaves.

After getting my 1st BP deer last Saturday, then two yesterday, I'm liking this BP thing!!! One either sex tag left so I got another month and a half to get the big boy!

Sorry for the long read.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Another XTP Report

damn where do u live? lol i'd love to beable to have 4 deer tags. Im suprised with the damage that bullet did, the deer didnt drop. An exploded heart and no lungs and it still ran a 150 yards? Amazing.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

damn where do u live?
In VA you get 3 doe tags and 3 either sex tags with your big game license. After that you can buy unlimited doe tags. I don't need anymore meat so I'm gonna hold out for some horns for the rest of the season!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I am not so sure I would be changing my set up.. it sounds like you have a good accurate load that kills deer. Those Black Diamonds are a real accurate rifle. Good luck horn hunting... And congratulations on the other deer.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bullets can only do so much and it sounds like yours are doing a good job; Hunting from a fairly high deer stand I think helps me the angle down and exiting low so the deer dont have to fill the body cavity with blood I think makes a differance. I have use XTP's and Shock Waves both and had about equal results the blood trial is uaually about 20 yds from the spot where I hit them. Lee
Old 11-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the comments guys. The more I think about it and listening to you BP veterans the more I realize that if my rifle is shooting good with it's present load, I should stick to it. It really does come down to a well executed shot in the end, doesn't it?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

stick with the XTPs congrats on the double it feels great indiana opened its bonus doe tags up you can legal take 300 deer in a yearif you hunt every countyand their is a reduce cost for extra doe tags i took 4 does with my bow
Old 11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

stick with the XTPs congrats on the double it feels great indiana opened its bonus doe tags up you can legal take 300 deer in a yearif you hunt every countyand their is a reduce cost for extra doe tags i took 4 does with my bow
you must really like venison..
Old 11-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I love it but i ve only put 2 in the freezer the others have went to families that need the meat the last couple of years ive been giving the deer to hunters helping the hungry but this year a friend at college knew 2 families here that really needed and i agreed when i dropped the deer off to them.i love venison but giving it away is better since i have a full freezer. hopefully i can help grandpa out and take a couple of his farm this year and then give them to hhh i have a lifetime licence so its a win win for everybody but whitetails
Old 11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear good& bad on the 230s, 240s & 250s.

I heard mostly all good on the 300 XTP/

Quick Reply: Another XTP Report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.