Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm??? >

Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm???

Old 11-11-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm???

atcfisherman, just gotta ask you... do like filling out 4473 forms?? also do you like having a background check done everytime you buy a gun?? I personally dont... but we have to do it because some morons in washington somehow determined this actually reduces crime... honestly I feel its because they want to have record of where firearms are incase the morons in washington decide they dont want us to have guns anymore... one more question do you think you should have to fill out a 4473 form and have a background check for air guns??
Old 11-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

atcfisherman, just gotta ask you... do like filling out 4473 forms?? also do you like having a background check done everytime you buy a gun?? I personally dont... but we have to do it because some morons in washington somehow determined this actually reduces crime... honestly I feel its because they want to have record of where firearms are incase the morons in washington decide they dont want us to have guns anymore... one more question do you think you should have to fill out a 4473 form and have a background check for air guns??
I just started this topic b/c I didn't know about the ML guns and felons. Nothing more or less! Do I like filling out forms, NO! and I personally think Washington should stay away from all hunting rifles b/c I have not heard of very many crimes with hunting rifles. As far as air guns, no. When was the last time someone committed a crime with an air gun? I guess this opened up a can of worms for some people, but don't jump on me!!![:@]
Old 11-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

Then while I was at my deer lease the other day, I noticed a guy hunting with a black powder rifle and asked why he doen't just wait for BP season and hunt with a deer rifle. He said he has a conviction on his record from about 20 years ago and could not use a fire arm, but could use a BP. Nothing against this guy and he is even a very nice new christian man, but I am confused, which doesn't take much. Any thoughts??????
Its true, no background check for ML/blackpowder. But do shush about this; gun grabbers will be all over that one, and feeling rightous about it (not sure how they'll manage to associate ML'ing with crime, though, which is their usual gun-grab technique).

Anyhow... some folks use a muzzleloader exclusively, so that isn't all that odd... if you're in the woods, you don't need a 300 yard rifle.

I'm sympathetic to the guy you met, and wouldn't want him to be prevented from hunting. Lots of decent folks have past felonies. They should leave the buying rules as they are, and allow guys/gals who've 'paid their debt to society' to hunt. AND WHILE I'M AT IT... I don't like the DOJ, I don't like the DEA, I don't trust the FBI, and the war on drugs is a jobs program for the aforenamed organizations. Heck - if you piss of a flight attendant on a commericial airliner -not violence or profanity, just piss her off - she can say you 'interefered with her ability to do her job' and you can be charged with a FELONY. It has happened to many. Of course, the Feds will graciously allow you to plead guilty to 'assault' or somesuch, even if you never assaulted anyone.... but I'm getting off-topic.

FROM THE ARTICLE ALSAQR linked:
Governor Freudenthal says he would favor changing the state law to allow convicted felons to continue to hunt with black powder guns.

Good for the Guv... let this guy and others like him hunt.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definition of irony: I juist purchased an Encore ML-I had to do a background check. At the same time I picked up a 30-06 barrel but did not have to do a background check. Figure that one out.

I do not like background checks, 24 hour holds, 72 hour holds, or anything like that. I think we should be enforcing the laws we already have. If we did that we would not need any new laws. Tom.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

Then while I was at my deer lease the other day, I noticed a guy hunting with a black powder rifle and asked why he doen't just wait for BP season and hunt with a deer rifle. He said he has a conviction on his record from about 20 years ago and could not use a fire arm, but could use a BP. Nothing against this guy and he is even a very nice new christian man, but I am confused, which doesn't take much. Any thoughts??????
Its true, no background check for ML/blackpowder. But do shush about this; gun grabbers will be all over that one, and feeling rightous about it (not sure how they'll manage to associate ML'ing with crime, though, which is their usual gun-grab technique).

Anyhow... some folks use a muzzleloader exclusively, so that isn't all that odd... if you're in the woods, you don't need a 300 yard rifle.

I'm sympathetic to the guy you met, and wouldn't want him to be prevented from hunting. Lots of decent folks have past felonies. They should leave the buying rules as they are, and allow guys/gals who've 'paid their debt to society' to hunt. AND WHILE I'M AT IT... I don't like the DOJ, I don't like the DEA, I don't trust the FBI, and the war on drugs is a jobs program for the aforenamed organizations. Heck - if you piss of a flight attendant on a commericial airliner -not violence or profanity, just piss her off - she can say you 'interefered with her ability to do her job' and you can be charged with a FELONY. It has happened to many. Of course, the Feds will graciously allow you to plead guilty to 'assault' or somesuch, even if you never assaulted anyone.... but I'm getting off-topic.

FROM THE ARTICLE ALSAQR linked:
Governor Freudenthal says he would favor changing the state law to allow convicted felons to continue to hunt with black powder guns.

Good for the Guv... let this guy and others like him hunt.
I totally agree!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I do not like background checks, 24 hour holds, 72 hour holds, or anything like that. I think we should be enforcing the laws we already have. If we did that we would not need any new laws. Tom.
I agree as well!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:15 PM

atcfisherman I see what you are saying but you are right you don't want to open a can of worms in my home province of ontario you have to take a course write an exam and renew you PAL (position aquisition license)every 5years if you want to buy guns,BP included.Our gun registry up here has really helped lower gun crimes.lol.How many hardened criminals have registered there guns 0,How many legitamite hunters and shooters are they ripping off all of us. [:@]
Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bake North

atcfisherman I see what you are saying but you are right you don't want to open a can of worms in my home province of ontario you have to take a course write an exam and renew you PAL (position aquisition license)every 5years if you want to buy guns,BP included.Our gun registry up here has really helped lower gun crimes.lol.How many hardened criminals have registered there guns 0,How many legitamite hunters and shooters are they ripping off all of us.                                                                           [:@]
Yes this is true. Personally, I think hunting rifles should not have a background check b/c they are not a main problem with criminals who kill. Those people use hand guns b/c they are smaller and eaiser to hide. And, like mentioned eariler, there are people who have a record for something that was many years ago and now they are model citizens, but yet are still punished. I know a few people who are like this and their crimes were not dangerous ones. But, yes I believe in not making waves in the wrong direction. I was just wondering about this.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

opps....messed up...
Old 11-12-2006, 09:45 PM

Actually i've gotten sick hearing about the % numbers of gun crime. They NEVER tell you what the % rating is for crimes commited by registered guns. You know damn well most of the crime commited is by stolen or illegal guns. And besides that, it would be damn hard to trace a ML'er shooting PRB lol. Hey do shotguns have to be registered? If they do, what good does that do? they are smoothbore. Maybe if all of us could afford armed body guards like those movie stars,music stars,football,baseball,basket ball stars andpoliticans, we wouldnt need them. Haha now we all know thats not true. Or maybe we should all move to gated communities so we feel safer?

Quick Reply: Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.