Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What's better....

Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default What's better....

I'm thinking about pulling out my .50 cal Hawken that I made from a kitseveral years ago. I used to shoot it quite often, buthaven't lately. I've seen alot of conical and sabots advertised in catalogs. Which would be better for me to use...or should I stick to the old patch & ball. I'm really not looking for something that will shoot over 100 hards, because I'll hunt in the same area I bow hunt so there's no "long range" shooting lanes. My Hawken doesn't have the same twist in the barrel as the modern black powder muzzel loaders. Help a brother out.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's better....

If your hawken has a slow twist 1 in 60 or more the chance are that it will shoot a round ball best,for deer hunting under 100yds it will do quite well; Black powder or pyrodex are the stand by but I hear that Black Mag and APP are being used by some and there are a few experimenting with others.I would say that if you are using #11 caps Black would be the most dependable since the others are prone to hangfire or misfire with #11 caps. Lee
Old 11-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanx lemoyne, that's what I thought. I've used pyrodex in the past, liked it alot. You are correct I do/will use #11 caps. How abot 777 powder? Heard its easier to clean-up after.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use T7 FFG in my Hawkins. Just have remember to thump the stock on the left to insure that it is right to the fire channal.
Clean up is the same as real BP just fill the pail with hot soapy water and pump.
BP is impossable to buy local here.

Al
Old 11-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Madjac20

I'm thinking about pulling out my .50 cal Hawken that I made from a kitseveral years ago. I used to shoot it quite often, buthaven't lately. I've seen alot of conical and sabots advertised in catalogs. Which would be better for me to use...or should I stick to the old patch & ball. I'm really not looking for something that will shoot over 100 hards, because I'll hunt in the same area I bow hunt so there's no "long range" shooting lanes. My Hawken doesn't have the same twist in the barrel as the modern black powder muzzel loaders. Help a brother out.
I believe you need one of the "modern" fast-twist barrels to have much luck using sabotted bullets. However, you might find that you can use a short bullet like a 250 to 300-grain.45 cal handgun semi-wadcutter (Keith design) bullet in a sabot in a slow-twist barrel. Relatively short, full-bore diameter concials will probably work OK as well. For instance, I use 370-grain Maxi-Balls in my 1/72" twist .50 cal. Hawken, and the 420-grainers in my 1/60" twist .54, and they shoot well with heavy loads. (See below)

Do not sell the PRB short-more deer and larger game were killedin North America with a PRB than any other kind of bullet!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Spike

I to have been thinking of breaking out the o'le Renagade 1/48 twist. I want to shoot PRB's and have been wondering what the powder of choice would be. Any suggestions on what powder to use, looking for good accuracy out to 80-100 yards with open sights? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: October Sky

I to have been thinking of breaking out the o'le Renagade 1/48 twist. I want to shoot PRB's and have been wondering what the powder of choice would be. Any suggestions on what powder to use, looking for good accuracy out to 80-100 yards with open sights? Thanks!
The favorite powder in my Renegades is Goex 2f or Pyrodex RS. I can shoot patched roundball very consistant and with lots of power. Start your loads around 80 grains and it will tune in before you hit 100 grains. Mine shoots 80 grains in Pyrodex and 90 in Goex.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

777 FFF loose powder is what I feel works best in the synthetic offerings. Good for sidelocks (my Renegade/Hawkens)and my inlines - more speed & energy too. Some barrels need a little more swabbing with 777 - not because it's dirty, just because the fouling crystalizes/hardens near the ignition source/breech. But to me it's worth a few more patches every range visit. The stuff is that good on the performance-end.