Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega

Old 10-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Spike

Default T/C Omega

Just wondering what powder and primer's everyone use's in their omega's. Last year i used the American pioneer powder and was having trouble shooting a consistent patern. I called american pioneer and they told it was cause i was cleaning my barrell. They said the solvent reacts with the powder and causes it to misfire. They suggested i only clean it at the end of the season. I tried what they said but i am still not getting good paterns. Any tips would help.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C Omega

What kind of APP powder charges did you try and with what kind of a projectile? A safe bet is usually 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f powder and a 250 grain Shockwave from what I have read. I am sure Omega owners will come to your assistance. There are a lot of Omega owners.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Spike

i used 3 50 grain sticks, and a 250 grain shockwave
Old 10-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Have you tried cutting the charge back to 100 grains of powder with a Shockwave? This might give you better groups and still plenty of power.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

JonnyNov

I have really been pretty fortunate with my Omega, I am able to load a wide variety of bullets with the MMP HPH-24 sabot and they all shoot really well. I shoot 100 grains of t7-2f. I must admit I do not shoot shockwaves or sst's. I guess I am just to darn cheap - I buy bulk bullets in boxes as if I were reloading and then purchase the sabots separately.

I have been shooting a lot of Speer Gold Dots .452's - they are a bonded bullet, both of them shoot excellent. I shoot a lot more of the 250 grain variety because that is my whitetail bullet of choice. The 300 grain I have set up for elk hunting.

Another bullet that has shown a lot of promise is the Hornady 40mm 200 grain XTP in MMP's blue 40/50 cal sabot. That thing is really scooting - has great velocity and energy- a no sweat bullet out to 150 yards.

Hope some of this helps....

Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JonnyNov

i used 3 50 grain sticks, and a 250 grain shockwave
The sticks was your biggest menace. Use weak primers like Winchester Triple Se7en(1st choice), Remington Kleanbores or CCI (regulars).

Change to loose powder for best results (most cases)- preferably Pyrodex P (pistol powder), 777, Black Mag-3,or try the Goex Pinnacle FFF. Also bring a different manufacturer bullet in a different grain size. Sometimes it take 2-3 bullets/sizes to find the right one.

Good recommendations for your/my Omegagun can be found at Cabelas.com

Barnes Spitfire 245s
Harvester Scorpions 260s
T/C Super-Glide Shockwaves 250/300
Cabelas Dead Center 200/220/240/300/340gr.
Cabelas Extended Range 215/250/300/350gr.
Powerbelt 348/405gr.
Buffalo Sabot Bullets (S.S.B) 375gr.

Just for starters......
Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot an Omega and APP too;you have to get all the oil out of the pores of the barrel scrub it with alk then with boiling water with Simple Green in it, then use Sheath which it don'treact with APP clean when you get home with boiling water and simple green. I can not get APP FFF to work so I only use FF if that wont work you might have to go to RS Pyrodex,I have not heard of any Omegas that didnt like it all though I have no dought there are some. One warning about Omegas the only ones brought in for fixing were when someone opened the action with a trigger lock on and locked this will break the trigger every time. Good luck Lee
Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Spike

This year I'll shoot the 245 barnes spit-fires that Triple Se7en mentioned with 90 gr loose of 2f 777. Incredible groups at 50 yards. I've had issues with crud ring which has been resolved with the use of the kleenbore primers. I also like the 250gr SST's but since I'm dialed in with the spit-fires that's what I'll go with IN TWO WEEKS!!!.

gopherfan

Go Vikes!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

Well in my Omega I shoot 110 gr. 2f 777 and either the 200 or 250 ShockWaves . The gun is 5 years old , when I first started shooting it I had your problem with it , I was shooting Powerbelts and 130gr. Pyrodex 2f . The first thing I would check is your scope base and rings I had to locktite the base to the barrel . You will have to find what shoots best with that gun but shockwave seem to work best with mine . In fact as long as I stick with Sabots I can get them to give me a group of less than 1" at 100 yards . Also when you go to the range take a break after about 6 shoots and shoot something else for a while then go back to the Omega . If you try to do to much to fast it will take longer to find the load that works best . Start at 25 yards and work your way out . Charlie
Old 10-31-2006, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

chaz3815,Lock tight the whole base?Did you actually put locktight under the whole surface of the base?Steel or aluminium base?Do you feel it made a big differance? Red or blue lock tight? Lee

Quick Reply: T/C Omega

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.