Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C OMEGA NO# 1 SELLER FOR T/C >

T/C OMEGA NO# 1 SELLER FOR T/C

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C OMEGA NO# 1 SELLER FOR T/C

Old 10-29-2006, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default T/C OMEGA NO# 1 SELLER FOR T/C

I was out at the range the other day shooting my flinters,there had to be 8 omegas on the firing line seem to be the omega must be t/c best seller.
I was shock to see out of all the omegas not one guy was shooting loose powder all of them shooting pellets
I am not knocking inlines have one myself but from what I see these guys just want to get an extra day in the woods when it comes to hunting during the special season: I ask a few why not a flinter to shoot that thought I was crazy, hey my flinters were clover leafing groups at the 50 did better then some with scopes on it.
I had one guy ask me why does his gun always shoot to the left no matter how many clicks he moves the scope.The scope was a high end scope bushnell elite he also was having problems with the hornady SST 300 grainers,first shot no problem to load but the second shot needed a hammer to get that bullet down the barrel.
Well I had some buffalo 375 SSB grainers with me and some loose triple 777 in the bag(for my inline) loaded him up with 85 grains of loose a SSB bullet all3 shots touched a the 50 yd target here was a guy sold on loose powder a them SSB.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: T/C OMEGA NO# 1 SELLER FOR T/C

I had one guy ask me why does his gun always shoot to the left no matter how many clicks he moves the scope.The scope was a high end scope bushnell elite he also was having problems with the hornady SST 300 grainers,first shot no problem to load but the second shot needed a hammer to get that bullet down the barrel.
Yes.. the Omega is one of the best selling MLs out there. I loved mine.

As far as the guy you posted about above... tell him to move the scope the other way... many people think you adjust a scope like you do iron sights.. when it's actually the opposite. w/ a scope.. follow the shot.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lonewolf5348

I was out at the range the other day shooting my flinters,there had to be 8 omegas on the firing line seem to be the omega must be t/c best seller.
I was shock to see out of all the omegas not one guy was shooting loose powder all of them shooting pellets
I am not knocking inlines have one myself but from what I see these guys just want to get an extra day in the woods when it comes to hunting during the special season: I ask a few why not a flinter to shoot that thought I was crazy, hey my flinters were clover leafing groups at the 50 did better then some with scopes on it.
Well I had some buffalo 375 SSB grainers with me and some loose triple 777 in the bag(for my inline) loaded him up with 85 grains of loose a SSB bullet all3 shots touched a the 50 yd target here was a guy sold on loose powder a them SSB.
Hey there Lucky Dawg Rick....

Companies that put-out a good quality/accuracy firearms product that's reasonably priced -- with the best "secretive-forever" warranty in the firearms industry.... well the word gets around fast on messageboards, gun ranges and hunting woods.

If one is not looking for a multi-purpose ML that shoots centerfire-world bullets like the Encore, the Omega is a very smart choice. Now go sight-in with that new Simmons Pro Hunter 3-9x40 -that you luckily found brand new for only$49.

See.... you didn't need my help at all! You took your sweet-time searching & searching - then hands-on investigative work inside hunting stores examing each one.... well... you did it the right way. Just dont overpower what's under that Simmons scope& you will have it for many years to come.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

The Thompson Center Omega is a popular selling rifle because of many factors. They are reasonable in price (some of you guys at the year end sales stole them), provide great accuracy out of the box, and have Thompson Center backing them up should there be a problem.

As for the idea that these people are only shooting them for an additional day in the woods... well that might be true. What hunter does not want to spend more time in the woods. Then again, someone that hunted all their life with a center fire might still see the Omega and it's one shot as a challenge and something they want to try. Their reasons for the use of the Omega could be many. Further they might not have the time to learn the flintlock or the desire to learn the flintlock. Face it, flintlock shooters are a special breed. They use a rifle that really takes some special knowledge to make work properly. I personally could not care what they shoot as long as they follow the laws of the State. I let them decide what makes their hunt special.

As for the accuracy issue, this is one of the best kept secrets out there. Everyone thinks just because you have an inline rifle, you have this super accurate rifle that will shoot extreme distances just by dropping a couple pellets down the barrel and pushing a projectile on it. That is so far from the truth its not even funny. I can tune a traditional rifle twice as fast as a inline rifle. You really have less to options to work with. Also the traditional rifles are still one of the most under rated rifles when it comes to accuracy. For me, accuracy comes with optics. Take away my optics and all distances equal, my traditional rifles will out shoot the inlines almost every time. If I can't see it, I can't shoot it.

Those Buffalo Bullet 375 grain SSB are a good bullet. One of the best that Buffalo Bullet made. I have a couple rifles that really like them and shoot very well with them. Good luck hunting this year.