Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Felt spacers

Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Felt spacers

Guys, I took some of your advice and got some Oxyoke 50 cal felt spacers. I shot them in my T/C Hawken with 320 gr Maxiballs and 275 gr Maxihunters. Both bulets shot well producing 3 shot groups about 1 1/2" at 50 yds. (Probably about as good as these old eyes could do.) The hunters hit dead center and the Maxiballs a bit over an inch higher.
Successive shots also seemed easier to load.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Felt spacers

It is claimed that the felt wads help wipe the bore clean when you shoot, so it may well have made loading easier. Also that's some good shooting. I'd sure hate to be the critter that gets smacked by one of them. I was shooting some last week and using a large balsum tree stump behind the target. My thought was it would slow the maxiball down. Well those things with 80 grains of powder were blowing right through. Of course balsum is not a hard wood, but still, those conicals were acting like the stump was not there. A deer IMO would not stand a chance when they hit and start pushing bone, and lead through the vitals...

Good shooting!!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Cayugad, I have a Green Mtn. Long Range Hunter barrel on my T/C Hawken. There isn't too many bullets it doesn't like. I tried saboted bullets in it but prefer to use the maxis. I'd like to get my hands on some 320 gr. R.E.A.L. bullets to try but I only have a couple thousand 250 grainers.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.blackjackhill.com/ might be able to set you up with some of them.

In fact I was checking my supply of REALS and .54 caliber roundball and am OUT!! Looks like I have to take a day and hit the melting pot and molds again. I make both sizes of the REALs in .50 & .54 caliber. I like the larger REALs also.

My Green Mountain Long Range Hunter with a 1:28 twist actually shoots sabots better then conicals. Although it does shoot the Lyman Maxiball very well..

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Guys, I took some of your advice and got some Oxyoke 50 cal felt spacers. I shot them in my T/C Hawken with 320 gr Maxiballs and 275 gr Maxihunters. Both bulets shot well producing 3 shot groups about 1 1/2" at 50 yds. (Probably about as good as these old eyes could do.) The hunters hit dead center and the Maxiballs a bit over an inch higher.
Successive shots also seemed easier to load.Thanks
I have been able to shoot naked pure lead bullets as-cast using the lubed Wonder Wads, which are similar to the wads you used. No leading, plenty accurate!