Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader Velocities >

Muzzleloader Velocities

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Velocities

Old 10-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloader Velocities

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Guys I know this is a really basic question but what are typical mzl velocities. One would think that it would be easy to "google" but I've not come up with anything other than stuff talking about "at muzzleloader velocities" and its pretty vague. SOOO....If any of you have chrono-ed your loads could you please tell me what you're getting. I know that the guy using 85gr and a roundball isn't going to be anywhere near the Knight shooter with 150gr pyrodex and a 300gr sabot. But I'd like to get a feel for exactly how these things stack up with pistol-cartridge carbines and shotgun slugs. (Again, I know all three are completely seperate animals...I'm just trying to get an idea) I mean, are we talking about 300gr @1200fps or 250gr and 1800fps or what? Velocities place an immense role in terminal ballistics and without knowing "V" you're just fumbling around in the dark.

Thanks for takin' the time.
ML muzzle velocities can typically range from 1300 FPS to over 2200 FPS, depending on bullet type, weight, and powder charge. Although it is possible to use heavy charges of up to 150 grains of Pyrodex or equivalent loads in some guns, such loads are usually not as accurate as ones using in the vicinity of 100 grains or so. Although some of these "magnum" loads indeed give velocities up to as much as 2500 FPS or so with lighter bullets, velocity is shed faster by such projectiles. Such loads are more useful for selling certain guns and bullets than for other applications..... When a person wants a more powerful ML, the best approach is still to get a bigger bore, and shoot heavier bullets from it......

For example, I am using a .73 cal flintlock this year which shoots a 597.5 grain, .735" ball at 1500 FPS MV. The energy of this load at the muzzle is a mere 3000 ft/lb. Yet the killing power of such a ball is wayout of proportion to its' size.....
Old 10-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

Ultimate Muzzleloader
What is the benefit of this $1600 rifle, in the deer woods?

http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/modelsprices.htm
Well I use my gun for more than deer and more than in the woods. Last year I killed a Caribou in northern Canada at 325 yards. I hunt mostly farm land with open fields with a average 150 yd shot, with a shots at over 450. I see lots of benefits behind this gun with a retained energy of over 800ft lbs at 500yrds.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

How bout the velocities out of something like the Savage with smokeless powder. Anybody chrono'd one of those?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:20 PM

I have many different types and brands of muzzleloaders including a Savage. This is one of the most impressive firearms I have shot. It will shoot a 300SST @ 2500+FPS and not kick your ass. It shoots BP and smokeless equally well. Because of it's smokeless ability it is the most versatile muzzleloader I own. There are people that shoot at even higher velocities than whatI stated but the recoil becomes brutal(i am not a big guy)
Old 10-21-2006, 03:50 AM
Spike

Hey Doc, 2500fps wow, how much powder and what powder are you using to get those velocities?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

Ultimate Muzzleloader
What is the benefit of this $1600 rifle, in the deer woods?

http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/modelsprices.htm
I have never understood the concept of any kind of gun that costs over 1500$ in the deer woods, I think my little 300 or 400$ guns get the job done just as well if not better.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:49 AM

Right on, Magnum Man. The CVA Staghorn thatI bought at Wal-Mart is the old two piece barrel model that is limited to 100 grains of powder. It will shoot1 inch groups at 100 yards. Killed a lot of boars and deer with it. Put a 250 grain SST through both shoulders of a 350 pound boar with it. I now have a Thompson Center Encore and another CVA but I like that old Staghorn because it is light and shoots so well.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

How bout the velocities out of something like the Savage with smokeless powder. Anybody chrono'd one of those?
Doe Dumper I bought a savage this year for something different and really in hopes of using it on a draw antelope hunt...though didn't get my draw tag[&:]! I haven't played a ton with different powders/loads but with 43grs of IMR4759, 250gr SST and 209w primer I am averaging 2350 and 3/4" groups at 100. My fastest load tried was 45 gr Viht N110 under 250grSST/Fed 209A primer averaged over 2400fpsbut it kept blowing sabots and as a result my groups were unacceptable to my standards. I know a couple guys who are getting over 2500-2700 fps with 250gr slugs but the recoilgets very stout. I never bought mine to be beat to death at the bench, so have no real desire to go in this direction with this ML. I do hope to get aload developed to hunt elk and moose during regular rifle season with the savage. I still own and enjoy shooting my other MLs as well b/c I love the sport of front stuffing. The savage has some wonderful benefits with the use of smokeless/accutrigger but it still needs attention to perform, I really don't find it much different than my remington or knight in this regard...minus the swabbing between shots. Both of these have proven themself to be capable as the shooter is that day.

FYI, a group fired from my savage @100 yards: #1 is out of clean bore(fouler), 2,3,4 the group and #5 is the final adjustment for what I want for my whitetail spot (switched gears from mulies). 10 minutes cool down before loading/shooting, no swabbing in between.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

What I wonder is why do you concern yourself with what the other person chooses to hunt with. If you're satisfied with a CVA Staghorn Magnum or if your choice is something top of the line like the Ultra Mag, what difference does it make. This is the same old argument the traditional muzzleloader hunters use when they feel anyone using an inline is not playing fair. Well I am not out there to play, I am not competing, and I could give a good hoot what you are hunting with. As long as you're legal and satisfied with the weapon, the powder, the projectile and the kind of hunt YOU are having, that's all that is important to me. If a $1500.00 rifle suites your hunting desires, use it. If a flintlock or something else is your thing, so be it. Just enjoy the opportunity to hunt.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Spike

Thank you Cayuqad, I don't want to go into why I choose the Ultimate, and I agree with you 100% shoot what ever you want and don't put anyone down for what they use. It's all personal preference on what you want to hunt with. Hell, hunt with spears for all I care.