Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva guys i have ?

Old 10-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default cva guys i have ?

i have a cva wolf 50caland i have it sighted in @ 80yrds and want it up to 150 or 200 i was wandering if any one else has been able to do this shooting a 100 grain load if so what grain bullet did you use im new to black powder and dont know if my gun is capeabl of doing this so any help would be great thank you for your time
Old 10-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cva guys i have ?

While not owning a Wolf.. I am sure the 100 grain charge you're shooting is able to shoot out to those distances with the right projectile. I also see no reason why your rifle would not shoot that kind of a distance with some degree of accuracy. Of course all rifles have their own characterstics and quirks.

At the extreme ranges you're talking I would try some Shockwaves or maybe some Barnes. They should be able to retain enough down range thump to get the job done. Another thing it will take is a lot of practice. Whether you personally will be able to shoot those kind of distances would have to be tested on a range.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhunter1984

i have a cva wolf 50caland i have it sighted in @ 80yrds and want it up to 150 or 200 i was wandering if any one else has been able to do this shooting a 100 grain load if so what grain bullet did you use im new to black powder and dont know if my gun is capeabl of doing this so any help would be great thank you for your time
I'm presuming you are using pellets - so Pyrodex would be my choice in 120 grains(4-30gr pellets)or 130 grains (2-50 gr. plus 1-30 gr).

Afterwards, please start a thread here on your results. Do a range review on that ML also. We have no info here on the CVA Wolf.

[size=2]
Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son has the next step up from the Wolf. His basic Optima has the 26" barrel while yours has the 24. His gun does pretty well out to 200 yards using 100 grains of 777 2F and a 250 Shockwave bullet. The drop at that range is noticable but manageable with practice. If you go with Triple Sevens suggestion of 130gr of pellets it flatens out a bit better.

The only way to find out if the gun will perform at those ranges is to try it. Your results may differ from ours but you should be able to find something that will work. BTW, remember that at that distance the energy of the projectile may be getting near the lower limit for some large game.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:10 AM

What cal. are you shooting?? I have a HunterBolt .45 and a buddy of mine has a .50 They are as different as night and day when comparing loads ( powder grains & bullett weight).
Old 10-15-2006, 02:15 PM

I've bought a Wolf last year when I was brand new to blackpowder. With the help of the people on this board I have it pretty dialed in at 100 yds with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and 240 gr. T/C Mag Express Sabots or Cheap Shot Sabots. I haven't tried farther out as a 100 yd range is all that is available to me in the wide open spaces of NJ. The trajectory with that load is about 2.75 inches high at 50 yds and dead on at 100 yds. I can pretty consistently hit clay birds set in the berm w/ a 1.5x-4x Bushnell scope. 100 yds is about the max range in the heavy cover that I hunt, one reason I like the shorter barrel on the Wolf. It's not a bad starter rifle for the cost and it's certainly not as pretty as some of the other but it gets the job done.
Good luck this season.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 PM

Bowhunter1984: CVA does not consider the Wolf to be a "magnum" rifle. They recommend a maximum charge of 100grains powder for your gun. And that's pyrodex/black powder, not the hotter triple 7. Unless you use 2 50grain triple 7 pellets, which is formulated to be the equivalent of 100grains pyrodex. The CVA technicians I've talked to were very fond of powerbelt bullets for their rifles. Cayugad's recommendations of shockwaves and Barnes is also very sound advice.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:28 PM

Not so. CVA advised me that the 100 grains max load is for loose powder. You can use 150 grain Pellets with a max bullet weight of 348 grains. They only limit you to 100 grains of loose powder due to the shorter barrels and it would be a waste to load with 150 grains loose and just have a nice powder burn show out of the end of the barrel. CVA also says any cva/win/bpiMAGNUM ML can handle 120-130 grains loose powder safely. I like to shoot 120gn pyrodex out of my Winchester with either a 245 or 295 grain powerbelt. And of course CVA is going to praise the powerbelt bullets, they market them. Why would cva advertise TC shock waves?that would be like ford saying chevys get better gas milage than their trucks.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:04 AM

Well last year I bought the cva optima .45, Nickle camo. I loaded 100 gr. loose 777, and the 175 Powerbelt. I have fallen in love with the Powerbelt bullets. They are the easiest loading ML bullet I have ever used. I used to use the Knight sabot in my knight .50 cal. The .45 in the powerbelt is the same size as the bullet in the knight .50. Just no sabot wrapping.

Anyway my cva shoots great on the 100 yd sight in. Good groups over the loose 100 gr. 777. My longest shot is 150 yds. , where I will be using that gun, so I have it covered.

But I tell you, If you try the powerbelts, and your gun will shoot them, they are sweet.

Good hunting and God Bless

Old 10-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhunter1984: CVA does not consider the Wolf to be a "magnum" rifle.
CVA does market the wolf as a "209 magnum" rifle." Though with that 24" barrel, I do feel it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

Quick Reply: cva guys i have ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.