Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Pursuit XLT - any input/thoughts? >

Traditions Pursuit XLT - any input/thoughts?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Pursuit XLT - any input/thoughts?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Traditions Pursuit XLT - any input/thoughts?

I am a shotgun (slug) deer hunter here in IL. I now use a 12 gauge H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe and am quite, quite happy with it. I have put4 orsometimes even 5 out of 5 on a paper at a buck and a half, though that is benched and I don't try that in the field. Most of my shots are 100 and under, occasionally 125 or so. So whywouldn't I be pleased?

I prefer a single shot because IMO it is more "sporting". Either I have a good solid shot in the boiler room to assure a quick expiration - or don't take the shot. I am not one to throw lead.

But now I am getting intrested in a muzzle loader. I have ZERO experience with muzzys. I have looked around a little and think I want a Traditions Pursuit XLT in the camo & stainless.

Anyone have one? Anyone have any experience with one? What can anyone tell me about this muzzy?$349 is MSRP.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 AM

Default RE: Traditions Pursuit XLT - any input/thoughts?

I don't know about the XLT but I have the 50 cal. PRO with a synthetic stock and nickel barrel and I love it! It's deadly accurate, light weight (or it seems to be), and easy to clean. I shoot a 240 grain sabboted hollow point and 100 grains of 777. I dont think you could get much better for the money. I'm pretty sure that the main difference between the PRO and XLT is the XLT has a thumbhole stock.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

If you are going to buy a Pursuit check the trigger before you buy it. Mine was somewhere between terrible and awful. Many of the early Pursuits had trigger levels above 15 pounds. I understand that they finally fixed that but I would check it before purchase. I sold my Pursuit LT as the trigger is very difficult to correct. I got mine down to about six pounds. Some people took out the weird hairspring trigger spring and reworked the action to accept a small coil spring to return the trigger which I understand worked fairly well. The Traditions rifles still use the same barrels that might be in question for maximum loads. Personally I would stay below the recommended level in the manual. Read it carefully as Magnum qualifications vary greatly from rifle to rifle.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bmarleyzq8

I don't know about the XLT but I have the 50 cal. PRO with a synthetic stock and nickel barrel and I love it! I'm pretty sure that the main difference between the PRO and XLT is the XLT has a thumbhole stock.
The most importantdifference between XLT and PRO is that the PRO has a steel frame that withstands magnum powder loads & big bullets much better. The PRO also has steel open sights. If I were a newby that wanted a gun styled like that & was interested in magnum powder loads around 120 grains on average, I would rate them/purchase themin this order:

T/C Omega
NEF SS Sidekick
Knight Vision
Lyman Breakaway
Pedersoli Denali
Traditions Pursuit PRO

If I wanted aftermarket centerfire barrel options, then I would be looking a T/C Encore (1st Choice), NEF Huntsman (2nd Choice)or CVA Optima Elite.

Just my opinion. The Pedersoli and Lyman have very good track records manufacturing MLs. I have-yet to read a messageboard review on either newish model. I expect both to fare well at the range.

Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

You have to be careful with the NEF Huntsman as most are made on a shotgun frame and not a centerfire rifle frame. The only way to get a switch barrel NEF with centerfire rifle adaptability is to buy the centerfire rifle first and then have the muzzleloading barrel fitted to the action. The Huntsman as made uses the larger firing pin for the shotgun primers and I have been told NEF will not fit a centerfire barrel to that frame other than a shotgun. I have the Huntsman and as for the muzzleloader capability it is a great rifle.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 PM

I witnessed a disgruntled customer @ Gander Mountain that was very unhappy with the Pursuit. Other than that I haven't heard too much else about the Pursuit. For your money though, you cannot beat any of the Pedersoli's. I have a Cabela's Rolling block that is fantastic and is actually $50.00 less than the Pursuit. It is simple and strong and accurate. I use 230gr. XTP .451 bullet with 50cal. High Pressure Knight Sabots and 100grains of 777 pellets(2x50's). I get about an inch group @ 100 yards and sub 2 inch @ 150 yards. Sighted in @ 3" high @ 100 yards and due to my configuration with the 3x9x40 Mildot WC Tasco it is still 3 inches high @ 150 yards shooting off the bench. Haven't tried at 200 yards yet. What ever you decide, always make sure you seat the bullet all the way down on the powder each time. Use the ramrod as your gauge. HAPPY HUNTING...!!!