Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

HELP!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 03:52 PM

Default HELP!!!

can anyone link me to a web site or something that will teach me what i need to know about muzzleloading. im going next weekend and and dont even have a gun yet!, its a long story. any help would be appreciated
Old 10-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HELP!!!

Gosh Mr. Zesterhouse, you're in ruff shape... You really need to decide on the kind of rifle you want and then sending you somewhere would be a little easier. Even telling you how, would be easier. Besides that, most rifles come with a good manual and some (knights) come with a video which explain all you need to do to get up and shooting. Is there any kind of rifle that interests you?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:28 PM

I'm going to go with cayugad on this one and say you're in a rough spot; but let's talk rifles before how to. Inline: The T/C Omega is a great way to go. Traditional: T/C Hawken, Lyman great plains and both good. Didn't check much of them out, but this place seems to have a lot of info on it: http://www.three-peaks.net/muzzle.htmYour MLs manual should teach you about everything you know.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:11 PM

T/C omega was the exact rifle i had in mind
Old 10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

The Thompson Center Omega is a great rifle. Even the Omega Z5 models are really doing some impressive shooting. Another thing to consider is what is legal in the state you hunt. Some states have projectile restrictions, others restrict ignition and even types of actions, so all of this is important to keep in mind.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

I'm afraid I am going to be quite negative on this one. If you plan to hunt something in a week and you do not have a rifle yet I think it is poor procedure to even attempt a hunt without more time than you have. I have shot muzzleloaders for some time now and I will not go ona hunt without spending at least two days at the range with the rifle I have already sighted in and selected a load for (just to be sure something has not changed and to be sure the load is the best one I can come up with). It is only fair to the game and the other hunters to be able to make a clean kill and be sure of your shots. With such little time I do not see how you can accomplish this. Sorry to rain on your parade but the lack of planning on your part is definately a poor start to a really fun sport. Now if you are just going out to shoot targets then maybe I misunderstood and if so I apologize.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

I'm afraid I am going to be quite negative on this one. If you plan to hunt something in a week and you do not have a rifle yet I think it is poor procedure to even attempt a hunt without more time than you have. I have shot muzzleloaders for some time now and I will not go ona hunt without spending at least two days at the range with the rifle I have already sighted in and selected a load for (just to be sure something has not changed and to be sure the load is the best one I can come up with). It is only fair to the game and the other hunters to be able to make a clean kill and be sure of your shots. With such little time I do not see how you can accomplish this. Sorry to rain on your parade but the lack of planning on your part is definately a poor start to a really fun sport. Now if you are just going out to shoot targets then maybe I misunderstood and if so I apologize.
+1...I'm affraid. Even if you can devote the entire week to finding a load for a gun you haven't got yet, must consider the use, regs and of course feel. Rushing this may lead to hardship or regret of buying the wrong thing. There is a learning curve of new sport, gun, etcif rushed this is where bad things can happen. I have seen experienced guys double charge, leave ramrods in, etc mistakes happen but are increased by being forced in so quickly to a situation where your mind isn't necessarily focused on the equipment aspect of things. Sorry, just to much to learn and get done in only one week. Safety is more important than a deer IMO.

Life happens we all understand that, so while you may have a greatreason to what took so long to buy your ml it still doesn't excuse what is required to be proficent and safe with it. Sh%t happens, buy now and be ready for the next time.

BTW the omega is a fine place to start your search..best of luck!
Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Spike

Mr. Zesterhouse, I did just about the same thing your doing. I order my Omega when they first came out,there was a delay in getting it do to popularity. Spent the weekend before opener sighting and finding a load for the gun. I was just looking for short range shooting no long range shots being new to BP. I ended getting 3 deer that seaon and now only take the Omega out even during shotgun.
But, keep in mind I did "alot" of reading right here on this forum and many thanks to cayugad and others for the great info.