Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Muzzleloader?

Old 09-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Muzzleloader?

I am in the market for a new ML for next season...any suggestions..looking to spend about 300-400 bones...just want a good reliable gun....must have a 28" barrel...26" would be Ok But I prefer the 28" barrels?
Thanks....GHJ
Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Default RE: New Muzzleloader?

TC Omega has a 28" barrel and is in your price range.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Since it's mentioned you're from Colorado, you might want to give some real consideration into a conical shooting type rifle. It's a shame you were not around for the White Ultra Mag sale that took place a while back. It would have been a perfect rifle for you.

There are some traditional rifles that also are conical shooters. What kind of rifle are you interested in?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 PM

I like the cva brands. They've never let me down. I shoot the Winchester x-150 and its a sturdy built rifle. It's deff. paid itself off over the 3 years ive owned it. Im from colorado to so im pretty sure you'll be wanting an inline for that little extra distane we always find ourselves needing. But let us know what you buy.

Jon
Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM

T/C's hawken is a great rifle. Give it a try and you'll be hooked for life.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Knigh Disc and love it....hoping to kill my first with it this year...shoots 200 yards no problem...wish me luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Go with either the Omega with a 28" barrel or an Encore with a 26" barrel. The Omega is a great muzzleloader. My buddy has an Omega and absolutely loves it. I have an Encore with a 26" barrel. Encores are around $500. It depends on how much you think you will hunt with it. In New York the muzzloader season is only about 2 weeks. A few years ago NY allowed hunters to use scopes on muzzleloaders. I use my Encore a little more now. I now use my Encore in the Southern tier which is a shotgun/ muzzleloader only area. I would rather haveone shot with theaccuracy and range of my Encore than 5 slugs out of a shotgun. T/C offers a new Encore Prohunter with a 28 inch barrel but they are expensive, $700-$850 I think. This site has pretty good prices on T/C's:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=omega

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Mike
Old 09-21-2006, 11:27 PM

I researched a lot of guns last year, and I wound up buying a CVA Optima in the .45 cal. I got it in the camo /nickle finish. I got it for 179.00. I thought it was a great deal. I went out to shoot it and sight it in and I fell in love. It shoots great and is 100 % better than my knight. Loads easy....I am shooting powerbelt's. I recommend this gun.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:26 PM

i would also suggest a t/c omega. of course, i'd also suggest an mk-85 (there are quite a few still around), but it isnt nearly as friendly as the omega when it comes to cleaning. white rifles are great, i own two. its just a little harder to find them. they have the same open-breech cleaning issues, but they are well-built and deadly accurate. mine shoot sabots and lead conicals very well.

i lilke a shorter tube on my muzzleloading rifles. that's just what i prefer to carry when im hunting, and to me muzzleloading it a short-range affair anyway. but note that the t/c omega doesnt have a receiver, so it's a pretty short rifle even though it has a 28" tube
Old 09-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado eh!!!!

You need a conical shooter - so if don't want to use Powerbelts and/or take a chance on your new fast twist inline shooting heavy conicals(+400 gr.)properly, then perhaps you should stick with a sidelock for hunting inside your state.

There are two I will recommend. One is the Lyman Deerstalker -- the other is this one below. All you need to do is decide what caliber .... ie... 50-54-58 with the Renegade. The Lyman comes in 50 & 54.. Both the Deerstalker and Renegade shoot conicals real well.

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/detail.cfm?section=16&subsection=149,175&p roduct=3504