Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks? >

Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

I tried some APP FFFG and it seemed to shoot pretty good. I did have a few shots where the pan went off but not the barrel. Was this because of the large size grains?

I ran out of the FFFG and bought some FFg for my Omega. The Omega likes the FFG much better.

Do you gurus think the bigger grained FFG powder will have trouble igniting in the Flintlock?

I guess I could go try it but I'm not sure if the problem I had before with the FFFG not going off when the pan went off was because of the large grains.

By the way, I was using regular black powder, FFFFG in the pan.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

APP
I use the 3f in my percussion, and 2f in my omega. I doubt I'd even think of using it in a flintlock due to the coarse grains and poor ignition one would probably get. If there was a choice, IMO you should stick with goex in your flintlock. You might get an improvement by using pyrodex's equivalent of 3f, as it lights up easier.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

You are duplexing the load I am taking for granted. Actually the only thing I am sure of in my flintlocks when it come to positive ignition,is real black powder. I have shot a number of different substitute powders in the flintlocks, but found without duplexing the loading, it was a hit and miss affair for ignition.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Cayugad! He'll probably tell you to use those black English flints too.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by duplexing?

Are you talking about using subsitute powder for the charge in the barrel and using real black powder in the pan? If so, that is what I am doing.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

By duplexing .. I like to put 10 grains of black powder FIRST into the barrel. Then add the substitute powders like APP, Pinnacle, Pyrodex, what ever. That way the pan flash actually hits the black powder in the barrel and ignites that first which explodes and flashes in the barrel under the substitute powder making a better ignition.

Also the Tom Fuller black powder flints are my favorite. Knapp them sharp and they will fire that rifle time after time.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the explaination, cayuqad.

I guess it is probably better to just stick with the real black powder in the flintlock.

Where do you buy those flints?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I just got a shippment from Cain's http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/catalog_index.asp you might check with them and see if they have any more left in the store... I also get them from October Country http://www.octobercountry.com/ and when out and about at different places...
Old 09-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think trackofthewolf.com sells them also.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

The reason I suggested Cains is they had an excellent sale on them a while back. In factI just got home from a trip and my order was waiting for me at the door. I now kind of wish I'd of ordered more. They look great and were about half the normal price. They might have a bag or two left of them. Whether you would get the sale price I could not say.

Quick Reply: Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.