Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 58cal roundball too small??? >

58cal roundball too small???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

58cal roundball too small???

Old 09-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 58cal roundball too small???

Is the 58cal roundball with 120gr Goex FFG and a roundball enough for Alaskan Brown Bear and Grizzly bear? I know you want alot of punch for bear in Alaska. I am thinking about getting the GM 58cal barrel and was just wondering because I would like to go to Alaska some day. I know they wan't you too make a shoulder shot. What do you think?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 58cal roundball too small???

Your shoulder may hurt more than the bear's with that much powder.

I have no idea on bear hide toughness. I have a 58 & I would think 90 grains would take down an elephant inside of 50 yards with proper placement.

Please! Don't ask me where proper placement on an elephant is.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think I would go after dangerous game with anything other than a bullet. You do realize you are talking about some of the biggest bears in the world up there right?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could ask Clint Eastwoodto borrow youone of his Smith & Wesson 44' Mags as backup?

[align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align]
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not recoil sensative. I can handle a good deal of recoil.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I know that on the Lewis & Clark Expedition, a number of grizzly bears were killed with a .54-cal. round ball, so I suspect a .58 will kill them as well. In addition, a great number of Hawken rifles were made in calibers between .50 and .54 for Mountain Men who had to have something that would kill grizzlies, if necessary, and they also shot round balls!

However, unless you hit them someplace, like on the end of the nose while they are facing you so the bullet will go up the nasal cavity into the brain, or some comparable shot that gets into the brain, they will NOT usually drop dead on the spot! The bear will usually still be a live for some little time after the shot. It is during this period of time that the critter can cover a lot of ground, and do a lot of damage, to whatever happens to be in its path!

I have a .58 Hawken flintlock. It shoots the .570 PRB and the 570-grain Lyman 57730 flat-nose Minie bullet equally well, using 120 grains of FFg. The PRB is quite easy on your shoulder, but the Minie "lets you know something has happened" when it departs downrange!! I would not hesitate to use that rifle with the Minie and a powder charge of from 120 to 200 grains of FFgr for ANY ANIMAL on earth. But if I was after dangerous game in Alaska or Africa, I'd insist on having a backup guy wityh a .375 H&H or .458 Win. right there! Not because the gun is not adequate, but because it only shoots once, and who knows what can happen in the field!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

You could ask Clint Eastwoodto borrow youone of his Smith & Wesson 44' Mags as backup?

[align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align]
CUE NEXT: the old saw about filing down the front sight so it won't hurt so bad... .

I would take an opportunity to hunt a big bear with a muzzleloader - even with my .50, maybe I'm not all that bright - but I think I'd use a great big heavy conical with as much powder as practical.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ordered a copy of the NMLRA association record book the first year it was printed...The record grizzly was killed with a .54 over 120grs FF...Shot was about 100 yards and the ball was found under the hide on the off side...Bear was lung shot and ran about 60 yards....
Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I ordered a copy of the NMLRA association record book the first year it was printed...The record grizzly was killed with a .54 over 120grs FF...Shot was about 100 yards and the ball was found under the hide on the off side...Bear was lung shot and ran about 60 yards....
That gun and your gun may not even resemble each other when you squeeze the trigger. Yours may not like over 80 grains at 100 yards. It may not like the lube - may not like your powder - may want a wad - may want deeper rifling.... way-too-many variables involved here.

Get out & try it. Because you are dealing with a violent creature, get a chrongraph to ensure penetration. Then go call Clint for that backup 44...lol
Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM

Roundballs are soft lead, and lightweight. Use a conical instead. They will retain that critical penetrating weight, even if they are plainlead thanks to the higher SD.

Quick Reply: 58cal roundball too small???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.