Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 (super-noob question) which brand to start? >

(super-noob question) which brand to start?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

(super-noob question) which brand to start?

Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Default (super-noob question) which brand to start?

Hello all-
I've done some muzzleloader shooting, with an old Lyman inline that was built to Yugo stadards. Never hunted with it because I seriously doubted that it would fire if I saw a deer (quite accurate when it did manage to fire, though)

Now, I want to buy a new muzzleloader. It will be for general pleasure shooting until whitetail season, where I plan to hunt woods and cornfields with a practical range of 100-150 yards. It'll almost certainly be an inline .50 with a 209 and a scope. It will certainly be at the lower end of the price range... I can afford around $200 for ML and scope.

What brand, model, color, flavor etc would you suggest?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (super-noob question) which brand to start?

Unless you find a nice sale on this, this is a bargain at regular price. The gun-alone is around $169. So go borrow around $50 for this complete package with shipping to your door.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null-cat20815&id=0027233215448a&navCount=2& podId=0027233&parentId=cat20815&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XF&rid= &parentType=index&indexId=cat20815&has JS=true

Old 09-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd second Triple Se7en's recommendation... For a scope get a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scope. They are about $69.00 and some B-Square mounts and you should be all set... It will run you a little over $200.00 but you have a set up that technically is all you need for the rest of your life..
Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Unless you find a nice sale on this, this is a bargain at regular price. The gun-alone is around $169. So go borrow around $50 for this complete package with shipping to your door.
I was in fact looking at that gun... thank you for verifying its potential.

is 2x7 a good range for the scope, considering my New England underbrush, or should I try to find a lower range?
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have an Omega and an NEF both with Simmons 1.5-5 prodiamond shotgun scopes. I really like the scope and the prodiamond crosshair helps me with a limited sight problem with my right eye. I have a blind spot exactly on the focal point of the eye so the diamond helps to center the crosshairs. I have had shots in the woods and with it on 1.5 it is as good as iron sights for me. The price is all over the map but you can usually find a sale for around $60. I searched several sites and finally landed on Sportsmans Guide for $39but the scope turned out to be the one with illuminated reticle and the rear of the scope is too large to work without going to maximum high rings on the Huntsman to clear the hammer. I sent it back and paid a little more but got the correct one finally. I think it was about $56.00.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you wait till the end of the season and get an Omega on sale at walmart you can't do better than the one Triple Se7enrecommended.
He got it right this time. Lee

Old 09-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm on my White Ultra Mag and love the scope. Although if you're trying to stay in a budget, it will put you over a little as they run about $129.00

Actually there is nothing wrong with a 3-9x40mm just make sure to check the eye relief. You want to find one with about 4" of eye relief. I have a 1.5-4.5x32mm Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn on my Black Diamond XR and it would be a good 150 yard rifle. The advantage of the higher power would be on the target range. I havea Sightron S1 and a Millet Buck on a different one. Both of them are 3-9x40mm and they are great scopes as well.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:32 AM

Is the NEF Sidekick one of the ones that can accept another barrel to become a single-shot .308 for instance?
Old 09-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, you can get another barrel for it but you have to send it in to NEF and it 6-8 weeks turn around. Lee
Old 09-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Once I have done that, can I swap barrels at home, or is changing barrels always six weeks at NEF?

I'm picturing getting a 12ga barrel for duck, a .308 or 7mm for rifle season, and of course the .50 ML. Would I be able to swap things around with relative ease, or should I plan to buy three firearms (one a year or so, with my budget)

Quick Reply: (super-noob question) which brand to start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.