Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

which one?

Old 08-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default which one?

My shooting buddy had a bad case of Tinnitis (ringing ears) and the Drs. told him to quit shooting. We both had purchased Omega 50 cal. and had them set up for 200 yd. He would like to get back to hunting with an ML (I will do they sighting in for him) thinking if he only shoots 1 shot he should be ok. We are wondering if he would be better off with a 45 cal. set up for 100 yds. or the 50 cal he has.We are thinking the 45 cal. and giving the 50 cal to his son. Which of these cals. loaded to be effective out to 100 yds. would be the least punishment.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: which one?

rcgerchow

I have the same ringing problem you are talking about, probably not as bad but it is there. ALL of my life I shot ran chain saws, did all that noisy stuff without wearing ear protection - no big deal... except a few years ago I went out to site in a A&H and I set up right off the tail gate of the pickup. I shot most of the afternoon without a problem but that night the ringing started - all that shooting with the concussion coming back of the pick box did me in... I still shoot but I don now need to wear good ear protection. I still hunt and I hunt without ear protection, because i believe out in th open i can shoot 1 or two shots and not have a problem and so far everything has been ok.

But, to the question - i really do not think there would be any difference between the concussion (noise) between to the two guns so I would stay with the 50... if anything the 45 might be sharper..

Just my 2 bits...

Good luck to your freind...

Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm another one who spent too many years around loud noises and suffer a ringing in the ear. I am a strong advocate of eye & hearing protection when on the range. When someone comes to my range, they wear eye and ear protection or they do not shoot or remain out there. People please for your own sake, protect your eyes and ears.

When out in the woods hunting, I only shoot once or twice maybe, and just let it fly without hearing protection. As for the difference between the two calibers, without a doubt get the .50 caliber. There is really no advantage of the .45 caliber in the distances you are talking. The .50 caliber will shoot as deadly out to 200 yards as the .45 caliber. Also there is be no advantage in the recoil or sound between the two. I just like the .50 caliber much more then others..
Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have the same problem only mine came from 23 years on Aircraft carriers and Nav Air Bases. I guess shooting and loud music played a part too. I ring loud all the time sometimes the ringing drowns out people's voices. I talked to my Dr. and he told me when I shoot from now on wear ear plugs and ear muffs this eleminates almost all sound. Tell your friend to talk to his Dr. about this. It may save him from not being able to shoot anymore. Remember this is a comulitive problem and one shot at a time it will take its toll. you could be fine but that next shot could be the one to put you over.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes, wearing hearing protection while hunting gets the deer!

I can remember a time or two when I lost patience with the cracking noise I heard & moved my head just enough to scare-off the deer.

Deaf folks hunt -- also hunt successfully.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

That is the problem with most of us "older" guys. I didn't know about noise, smoking , alcohol and all the other "bad" things until I was too old to reverse the damage. I am now using a type of hearing improvement and protection device for hunting.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 PM

ditto cayugads comment,

as i also make my son wear hearing protection while watching..
we have the head gear not pop in ear getty ups..

i don't want him to get older and have that ringing going on..

always saftey first !!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I will tell him to stick with the 50 cal.
Actually we both have always worn ear protection when shooting skeet, trap and any range time we spent. His finally came about while shooting trap wearing ear protection but had a sinus infection. I have a pretty low grade ringing in my ears from loud music, armed service, motorcycles and shooting (duck blinds can be horrible). For many of those years I wore very little in the way of ear protection.